Dom Continually Showing His Genius & Master Strategy?

D

Drake

At first I was a little pissed at Dana & co for not giving Dom the immediate rematch a great like him deserved...but he was okay with it & I think I know why. On JRE recently he said that he does want an immediate rematch...but he wants to see how the TJ vs Cody fight plays out first then fight the winner. He's an amazing analyst as we know. I'm thinking he wants to use it to his advantage in terms of recovery/giving his body a break after three five round fights in one year as well as seeing how Cody does against TJ.

Dom already knows how to beat TJ...& he surely may even understand how to beat Cody too. But seeing how he does against another fighter somewhat similar to himself as well a former teammate will give him that extra analytical edge for adjustments, etc.

I could see them giving Dom his immediate rematch too depending on how other things go with other fighters. Specifically Assuncao & Jimmie Rivera. Assuming they fight & Assuncao were to win then it would be most sensible for Dom. Rivera not as much but hey...we're in the UFCircus era.

I also found it super interesting how he said the cut changed things so much in the Cody fight. You could tell just by watching as well. I was afraid it would get stopped myself as was Dom which he explains why he got more aggressive in RD3&4 because he knew how bad the cut was.

dominick-cruz-ufc-207.jpg

Time stamped:

Thoughts?

Cruz bless ;)

CfjcVUZUUAACebt.jpg:large

He's hoping someone who matches up better with him takes out the champ. It's not a terrible strategy but we saw how that worked for Ronda

He's hoping someone who matches up better with him takes out the champ. It's not a terrible strategy but we saw how that worked for Ronda
He's fought them both before though unlike Rounda with Tate/Holm/Nunes.

He's also better than her...lol.

i think reality set in - you dont get a ton of shots at the title - if he lost again the cody, he wouldnt get another shot for a while if ever - he'd def have to wait until cody lost - he prob felt he needed to heal (who knows what injuries he has) or improve a bit before playing his next title fight trump card

but, if you're a fan of doms, i think spinning the situation in a way that demonstrates his genius and analytical skills is the way to go - it would be funny to hear dom cruz's objective opinion on dom cruz turning down a title fight - he would go on and on about how dom cruz lacked heart and drive to turn down an opportunity like that

Looks to me like he might want that huge gash over his eye to heal for a while. BTW, that "master strategy" lead to him getting his ass handed to him. Not a big Dom fan but I do respect that fact he came back from his injuries like a champ.

My thoughts are stick to Randa and only Randa.

Your boy, Cruz is done. He has nothing for No Dad or Killashaw 2.0, imo.

i think reality set in - you dont get a ton of shots at the title - if he lost again the cody, he wouldnt get another shot for a while if ever -
What if Cody lost to someone? & about the title shots...tell that to Faber... :p

I hope they make Barao/Cruz

Barao via TKO

I thought initially that Cody had broken Dom, but I think its mainly him needing time off for the plantar fascitis and scouting both guys and having them both kill each other off. I think he matches up better against TJ, but I think if TJ fights smarter and more controlled he will beat him. I think he matches up poorly against Cody IMO, most likely gets finished if he elects to trade with him.

I think his fight acumen will keep it competitive for awhile, especially against TJ, but I think he's slowing down due to age and injuries.

Dom and TJ aren't that much alike as Rogan and other people with terrible striking say so.

Cruz started training again right after the fight. Garbrandt enjoyed life a bit and has TUF to handle now.
Training advantage goes to Cruz. And I think he hasn't peaked from a technical viewpoint yet, as he is one of the smartest Ufc fighters
His physical prime, if he ever had one is probably in the past or it will theoretically be in a normal injury free camp this year.
But with all those injuries his body will probably be worse with every fight in the future.

Cody on the other side hasn't peaked yet and will be better the next time. Physically and technically.
Garbrandt probably knocks TJ out and defeats Cruz again, knockout not unlikely.

I think if TJ fights smarter and more controlled he will beat him.
I just don't see it considering TJ had his best chance in the first fight. That was his shot.

I think he matches up poorly against Cody IMO, most likely gets finished if he elects to trade with him.
Survived the first time... :p
& I imagine wouldn't trade as much in a rematch.

What if Cody lost to someone? & about the title shots...tell that to Faber... :p
funny but i thought about faber when i re-read my post and edited it a bit to hedge

anythings possible if you're an alpha male and snake charmer

he wants to see how the TJ vs Cody fight plays out first then fight the winner.

I'm thinking he wants to use it to his advantage in terms of recovery/giving his body a break after three five round fights in one year as well as seeing how Cody does against TJ.

Dom already knows how to beat TJ... seeing how he does against another fighter somewhat similar to himself as well a former teammate will give him that extra analytical edge for adjustments, etc.

This definitely sounds realistic...

Makes a lot of sense for him to do this...

This definitely sounds realistic...

Makes a lot of sense for him to do this...
yea, theres def truth to that - i think the ufc knows that it can push its preferred fighters by letting other fighters just keep fighting tough fighters and bet on the fighter losing or getting damaged and slowing down - pretty basic stuff - letting people beat each other up before you fight them makes sense

I just don't see it considering TJ had his best chance in the first fight. That was his shot.

Survived the first time... :p
& I imagine wouldn't trade as much in a rematch.

He'll def utilize more leg kicks and keep it at range, all the while moving in and out and cutting angles. I'm guessing he needs the time to alter his footwork and change his entries and triggers.

TJ will be a tough matchup, I think he has a better chance against him than Cody because TJ is smaller and more emotionally volatile, but if TJ works on his legs early that could be the game changer IMO

Back