High left guard to block the overhand right, could Thompson utilize this?

The Mookster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In their first fight, I was shocked to see Wonderboy not using a high left guard to nullify Woodley's overhand right. Rory executed this perfectly and basically shot down any Woodley offense in their fight. Woodley has an AMAZING overhand right and good takedowns... but if you can nullify the overhand right and stop his takedowns then he does not really pose any threat in my opinion. I feel like Rory Mac did this flawlessly and I was surprised Robby Lawler didn't pick this up and even more surprised that Wonderboy didn't pick it up after seeing what happened to Robby when he didn't execute the high left guard.

What say you sherdoggers?

I think his dad even said that's why he got clipped by those 2 right hands. He kept dropping his left hand after he'd throw a shot.

It would at least help lessen the impact if Tyron tags him.

200.gif

Rory made Woodly look ammy, and everyone was all like "Woodly is a can, he is rubbish, he ain't no good, etc." - anyone remember that? I think Rory was onto him, and realized right away how to beat him and every Tyron opponent, heck even Tyron himself, needs to study that fight.

Wonderboy's defense is almost completely reliant on footwork and distance control. When he loses control of that, he tends to get hit.

I might have to rewatch the fight, but I seem to recall Wonderboy was circling left a lot in their first fight, right into the path of Tyron's right. (I was drinking heavily, and I could very well be wrong) If Woodley has to reach and punch across the body it'll negate some of the power and speed in his right hand.

Wonderboy circling right, and countering Woodley's jabs with a left inside kick to the lead leg would be helpful in keeping Woodley at range and sap the strength and go to work slowing Woodley down in the early rounds. If Wonderboy can sting Woodley early and make it difficult for Woodley to close the distance fast, then it puts Thompson at an advantage. If he fights smart, he can work the volume striking and get Woodley frustrated and open up in the later rounds.

Wonderboy's defense is almost completely reliant on footwork and distance control. When he loses control of that, he tends to get hit.
This.
If you watch Wonderbread back in his World Combat League days he was very comfortable fighting with his hands down so it's no surprise that even if the game plan calls for a hight guard he will at times go away from it.

This.
If you watch Wonderbread back in his World Combat League days he was very comfortable fighting with his hands down so it's no surprise that even if the game plan calls for a hight guard he will at times go away from it.

I do like WB but he won't be a WW champ until he actually becomes fighter he's still very much a martial artist which is pretty to watch, but you need to know how to fight instinctive on the cage, on the mat, on your back, you crush WB's space and he's lost and fighting out of his comfort zone.

In all his interviews he keeps commenting on how strong Woodley was well he certainly not gonna get any weaker come Saturday. For WB to win he needz to be push forward like a fighter then mix in your karate.

a boxing/muaythai stance would hinder his mobility and kicks.

you're not blocking Woodley's overhand anyways... Woodley's lunging overhand hits fast and precise.

only chance is to dodge.

So you're saying if one guy uses defense then that will stop the other guy's offense?

You should be a coach TS

In their first fight, I was shocked to see Wonderboy not using a high left guard to nullify Woodley's overhand right. Rory executed this perfectly and basically shot down any Woodley offense in their fight. Woodley has an AMAZING overhand right and good takedowns... but if you can nullify the overhand right and stop his takedowns then he does not really pose any threat in my opinion. I feel like Rory Mac did this flawlessly and I was surprised Robby Lawler didn't pick this up and even more surprised that Wonderboy didn't pick it up after seeing what happened to Robby when he didn't execute the high left guard.

No disrespect, but WB don't have the style to really beat Woodley he too strong, too explosive, for WB's style. From what I know about TWood aggression gets you through get his back against the cage and fire off. Or use your 5rds and drain his body with blows forget head hunting WB is not a 1 punch fight ender he needz to wear a body down to get that TKO.

Rory made Woodly look ammy, and everyone was all like "Woodly is a can, he is rubbish, he ain't no good, etc." - anyone remember that? I think Rory was onto him, and realized right away how to beat him and every Tyron opponent, heck even Tyron himself, needs to study that fight.
Tyron Woodly?

Only nooblets think that you can block powerful confident godlikespeed "overwhateveryouwanttocallit rights"

Of course he could. But it's not his style

No disrespect, but WB don't have the style to really beat Woodley he too strong, too explosive, for WB's style. From what I know about TWood aggression gets you through get his back against the cage and fire off. Or use your 5rds and drain his body with blows forget head hunting WB is not a 1 punch fight ender he needz to wear a body down to get that TKO.
gotta disagree here. outside of that woodley barrage in the 4th he was pretty much neutralized for the vast majority of the stand up. even in the 5th round a rocked and dazed wonderboy was able to neutralize woodley again.

I don't really remember Thompson having his hands up blocking at all blocking anything in that fight.

Having your hands low might be a bad habit of WB but it helps to defend takedowns

Back