Does punching upward to a taller opponent increase or decrease power?

giphy.gif

Wouldn't say it effects power but it tires you out faster consistently punching up.

essentially any straight punch will decreases a lot, an over hand is probably the only punch you might gain a bit of power on if the opponent is noticeably taller.

absolutely. However, a true expert such as Dom Cruz will tell you the trick is to fight on another plane.

Decreases for the most part, but shorter fighters can spring into their punches (mostly uppercuts, but sometimes straights) from beneath and create a lot of power from it. You usually see this utilized in boxing.

fzSIO6o.gif

Ask Mike Tyson, he made a career of it

Decreases for the most part, but shorter fighters can spring into their punches (mostly uppercuts, but sometimes straights) from beneath and create a lot of power from it. You usually see this utilized in boxing.

fzSIO6o.gif
That punch was a thing of beauty.

Yeah punching upwards decreases power, just think of the movement pattern change, when punching forward you use your whole body from feet hips and shoulders to rotate into the punch, when throwing up the movement would change dramatically.

Edit -then some fucker mentions Mike tyson and proves I'm full of shit hahaha

fzSIO6o.gif
Found another gif that perfectly illustrates what I was trying to explain earlier.

3rLZlSv.gif

Yeah punching upwards decreases power, just think of the movement pattern change, when punching forward you use your whole body from feet hips and shoulders to rotate into the punch, when throwing up the movement would change dramatically.

Edit -then some fucker mentions Mike tyson and proves I'm full of shit hahaha
Tyson was a freak of a nature though.

Found another gif that perfectly illustrates what I was trying to explain earlier.

3rLZlSv.gif

I wonder if the direction of the impact also has to do with the effect of the punch. An uppercut will rattle the brain primarily north-south rather than front to back like a straight jab, or east-west like a hook. Where's doctor Johnny Benjamin when you need him?

Back