Would you favor Masvidal/Maia winner of Woodley/Thompson?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
Which one of these fights produces the guy at WW you'd favor over the rest?

I think even though I think Thompson is likely to beat Tyronathan, I'd favor him over both Maia/Masvidal
Where as I'm not sure I'd favor Wonderbread over either guy

What say you

Maia>Thomson
Woodley>Maia
Woodley/Thompson>Masvidal

I think Thompson can avoid a Damian TD the same way Anderson Silva did.

I think even though I think Thompson is likely to beat Tyronathan, I'd favor him over both Maia/Masvidal

What say you
Yes, Maia deserves it but who really deserves anything.

Masvidal has been in the game longer than most, been robbed of too many decisions in fights in which he outclassed his opponent.

Masvidal is a hell of a fun fighter and imo better to watch than Maia

Hopefully Masvidal retires Maia and it stays exciting.

Hopefully Masvidal retires Maia and it stays exciting.
I don't get people who say that Maia is a boring fighter. The way he strangled Brown and Condit was super entertaining to watch in my opinion.

What say you

Masvidal has been my dark horse in the division since his time in Strike Force. If he can continue to fight the way he did against Cerrone than I think he has a legit chance to beat both Woodley and Thompson.

I'd like to see Lawler get a fight back under his belt and then face Masivdal in a title eliminator.

If I have to pick one guy out of the 4. I'd likely take Maia.

He didn't get KOd by Silva. And he can take out high level strikers. NBK for example. But, those high level strikers only need one strike sometimes.

Maia beats Masvidal. Then beats the winner of the title re-match.

Masvidal has been my dark horse in the division since his time in Strike Force. If he can continue to fight the way he did against Cerrone than I think he has a legit chance to beat both Woodley and Thompson.

I'd like to see Lawler get a fight back under his belt and then face Masivdal in a title eliminator.
Perfect scenario right there, just beautiful.

Never been a fan of Masvidal until the Cerrone fight. He's always been skilled but he was way to passive for me and I hate watching skilled fighters be so passive it's annoying to watch. If he keeps it up with that jab he could be champ.

I see Mazvidal beating Wonderboy he counters off caught kicks all the time. Wonderboy would have to seriously watch what he's doing kicking Mazvidal.

His counter right when he's holding on to your leg is fucking vicious.

The WW Core 4 is looking tasty.

Maia has been amazing lately but with him I still always worry about him getting one-punched ala Marquardt. Especially against someone like Woodley or Thomson.

I don't get people who say that Maia is a boring fighter. The way he strangled Brown and Condit was super entertaining to watch in my opinion.

No it wasn't. He held on Matt's back for 2.5 rounds with a body lock and couldn't sink the choke with Brown defending with 1 arm. The only reason it wasn't stood up was because they were in Brazil and Mariomasaki feared he wouldn't have made home for ruining the hometown snooze fest.

Thompson outpoints Masvidal via footwork to stay out of boxing range.

Masvidal TKO's Woodley, too good inside, and Woodley isn't good on the back foot, nor will he take him down enough over 25 minutes. Masvidal's also significantly better on the ground than Thompson and pushes the pace, good cardio.

Woodley stuffs Maia, Maia butt scoots and Tyron doesn't follow him down. Rinse, repeat. Boring UD.

Wonderboy/Maia is a toss-up. 3 likeliest outcomes: Maia SUB/UD, WB UD.

Exactly. Remember when he squeezed Rick Story's brains out through his nose? If that doesn't entertain you, you are either Rick Story or his mom.

No it wasn't. He held on Matt's back for 2.5 rounds with a body lock and couldn't sink the choke with Brown defending with 1 arm. The only reason it wasn't stood up was because they were in Brazil and Mariomasaki feared he wouldn't have made home for ruining the hometown snooze fest.
They don't or shouldn't stand anyone up from any truly dominant position
So mount, backmount, crucifix or quarter mount with the gift wrap

Exactly. Remember when he squeezed Rick Story's brains out through his nose? If that doesn't entertain you, you are either Rick Story or his mom.
Maia has far and away the best squeeze in the sport tied with Jacare. For obvious reasons, but Maia's squeeze has been shown more consistently

Thompson outpoints Masvidal via footwork to stay out of boxing range.

Masvidal TKO's Woodley, too good inside, and Woodley isn't good on the back foot, nor will he take him down enough over 25 minutes. Masvidal's also significantly better on the ground than Thompson and pushes the pace, good cardio.

Woodley stuffs Maia, Maia butt scoots and Tyron doesn't follow him down. Rinse, repeat. Boring UD.

Wonderboy/Maia is a toss-up. 3 likeliest outcomes: Maia SUB/UD, WB UD.

Woodley primarily fights off his back foot, so you're just saying he's no good on the feet I think

Also, I think Masvidal actually beats Thompson easily if he wants - I think it's a really bad style match up. Masvidal can fight tall and dutch and snipe from outside as well as Thompson can point fight from the outside. Plus he's an underrated offensive wrestler and he won't be giving up size so he can pressure and bully more. If Masvidal fights with any intelligence I think he beats Thompson up.
I agree with the rest I think

Maia has far and away the best squeeze in the sport tied with Jacare. For obvious reasons, but Maia's squeeze has been shown more consistently

Woodley primarily fights off his back foot, so you're just saying he's no good on the feet I think

Also, I think Masvidal actually beats Thompson easily if he wants - I think it's a really bad style match up. Masvidal can fight tall and dutch and snipe from outside as well as Thompson can point fight from the outside. Plus he's an underrated offensive wrestler and he won't be giving up size so he can pressure and bully more. If Masvidal fights with any intelligence I think he beats Thompson up.
I agree with the rest I think
Woodley's most dangerous when he can walk someone down to time a power strike. I don't think he's a good striker up close or when backing up, but he can still land a big hook.

Masvidal has good defense on the inside and has good offense there as well, can also fight from the outside, from where he's less dangerous and can lose via points since he often coasts behind a jab while taking kicks in return. He's not a high output guy on the outside, which he should be given his skill.

I think Wonderboy can choose at which range to fight him since his footwork is the best in the division (probably in the UFC). He's also got a counter game to negate attempts to fight inside, and from the outside Masvidal won't win on points.

If you look at Wonderboy's recent fights outside of Woodley (who has probably the best shot at WW and took him down after catching a kick) it's tough to get into shooting range against him, and chasing him is tiring. Masvidal has good cardio and could win, but I think the footwork will be difficult to overcome.

Back