What are Joe Rogan's qualifications for his role?

Seismic

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In football and in handegg, in golf, in boxing and in tennis, the top pundits that weigh in on the sport's athletes are without exception ex-pros and coaches. People who can offer a revealing insight in to the sport's world, people who can offer their 2 cents on contests based on their experiences in the game.

Why then, is Joe Rogan the man MMA fans go to for expert opinion? How is he in a position to question CM Punk's credentials? Who can paint a more accurate picture of what it's like in the octagon, Rogan or Punk?

To be clear, we're not talking about a commentator who's hired for his 'broadcasters voice' - Joe Rogan enjoys a loftier position than mere commentator, he is considered expert and not just any expert, 'the' expert. How and why?

He knows what he is talking about having watched countless fights live, trained and competed at a good level for many years and explains shit easily for many viewers.

Whats greg jacksons credentials as coach again? Also Rogan would fuck CM Punk up if they fought

I'm no Rogan fan but he is like a BJJ black belt and high level TKD guy with over a decade of experience in calling fights...

The problem is that he stopped competing long ago.

He had some success in local Tae Kwon Do tournaments and is a legit blackbelt.

Legit BJJ blackbelt from what I've heard... but he doesn't really compete (too busy obviously).

He is a great MMA historian for sure, but no real "fighting" credentials

I'm no Rogan fan but he is like a BJJ black belt and high level TKD guy with over a decade of experience in calling fights...
I believe he was a TKD national champ at one time.

You don't to always need to have first-hand experience in something to be an expert at it. He's studied the sport and seen enough fights over the course of enough years to generally know what he's talking about.

Is there a message board on the internet more obsessed with 1 single person than Sherdog is with Joe Rogan?

Jesus fucking Christ people. It's like he runs your lives. Move on.

The problem is that he stopped competing long ago.

He had some success in local Tae Kwon Do tournaments and is a legit blackbelt.

Legit BJJ blackbelt from what I've heard... but he doesn't really compete (too busy obviously).

He is a great MMA historian for sure, but no real "fighting" credentials

He also fought in amateur kickboxing so he definitely has some experience in real fighting.

His credentials are that he knows fighting and makes fights exciting.

The negative side is that he is often biased or over focused on one point.

Still p4p best MMA commentator imo, by far. Leave Joe alone.

Rogan is a hugely controversial figure on here it seems.

Rogan is an 'origins' MMA guy who dates back to death touches, inner chi, Budo, O'sensei, pressure point bullshit.

I think in recent years he has become more of a disingenuous hype man but he's earned his job with his early work.

Some of you guys who came up with MMA don't know how lucky you are.

Commentary for the UFC since 1997. Seems like he has experience in the role.

Cue some nonsense about winning Massachusetts under 19 TKD tourney and his undeserved black belt from Bravo after 20 years rolling.

Joe's a combat sports fan, a real one. Been watching MMA since the beginning and trains in striking and ND BJJ. He feels like a stand in for the hardcores when he commentates. Which makes the fights more exciting. I would like Joe to be paired with a real fighter who knows the technical side better than he does like Dom. I like the hype and energy Rogan brings and no one else brings it the way he does.

giphy.gif

I

Why then, is Joe Rogan the man MMA fans go to for expert opinion? How is he in a position to question CM Punk's credentials? Who can paint a more accurate picture of what it's like in the octagon, Rogan or Punk?
Joe never had the balss to go into the octagon unlike punk.

People say MMAis closest to boxing sports wise and I don't remember Max Kellerman, Al Bernstein and the likes every fighting either and you didn't mention boxing.

Back