If Conor is "unavailable" to fight the winner of Khabib vs Tony, who should be next in line?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Nobody truly knows what´s up between Conor and Floyd...

What we do know is there would be a lot of money involved and these kind of deals usually take a long time to happen. I just don´t see Conor back inside the octagon within the next 6 months or so, risking getting exposed and losing that huge opportunity while the Floyd fight talks are still on. The truth is he won´t do a thing until that deal is totally on or off, IMO.

So, who´s gonna be fighting the winner of Tony and Khabib???

Well, the only top ten who´s close to a TS is Barboza who´s fighting Dariush in Brazil on the 11th of march. I think he should get his chance, if Conor doesn´t come back to defend.
barboza-lullo-gif.gif

Apart from Barboza there simply aren´t many options.... nobody in the top 10 who really deserves a TS.

One crazy alternative in these new UFConor times, would be to give Aldo (if he beats Max) his shot at the LW champ, especially if Khabib is the winner. The ufc would love to see Aldo (who has the best tdd on the planet) stop khabib and make Conor´s life "easier" on his way back, while setting up that long awaited rematch at the same time (and Aldo would become the goat if he ever made it that far, beating Khabib or Tony and then Conor in a rematch)...
1414123247-tumblr_ndrx26brxn1r4c1k8o4_500.jpg

So, the question remains: If Conor doesn´t fight the winner of Khabib vs Tony, who should be next?

Nate Diaz will probably be gifted an interim title shot, on the hopes of setting up an eventual trilogy bout with McGregor to unify the titles.

Nate Diaz will probably be gifted an interim title shot, on the hopes of setting up an eventual trilogy bout with McGregor to unify the titles.

ding ding dinnnnnnng!

unfortunately Nate is 1 (or perhaps even 0 if Conor wills it) win away from a title shot, and I doubt the UFC is picky about who that win is against

I could see them having him fight someone like Dustin, Al Iaquinta or Bobby Green, and if he wins then title shot

Obviously Edson
Nate could have fought for the real title at UFC 200

Dude only fights Conor these days, doesn't seem to think anyone else is worth the time or effort.

If Aldo beats Holloway, then you can 100% expect him to challenge the winner of Ferguson/Khabib for the Interm Championship. He's already made it clear that's what he intends to do; He even tried calling out Khabib once already when it looked like the fight with Max might fall through. Whether they would accept his challenge or not remains to be seen, however.

Beyond that, I'd say either Michael Chiesa or the winner of Barboza/Dariush would be the next challenge. Maybe Dustin Poirer too, but no way does he deserve a fight that would put him only one victory away from challenging the champ. Same with Eddie Alvarez.

If he's unavailable he should be stripped and told to go sit on a pointy fence.

translation
If Conor is DUCKING the winner of Khabib vs Tony, who should be next in line?

Nate Diaz would get the shot if he'd accept it, but he wouldn't. He's fighting for money, not titles.

The Barboza/Dariush and Holloway/Aldo fights are the obvious ones to keep an eye on.

Barboza would have a good style to beat Khabib. Or if Tony wins (I think he will) then Ferg/Barboza 2 would be awesome.

People are only calling for an Aldo title shot upon a win in the FW fight, but Holloway could just as easily get one if he wins. He's a big FW, on a huge win streak, he'd have a win over former GOAT, and there's a lack of FW contenders.

Or, if GSP wants the fight, he trumps all of the above.

ding ding dinnnnnnng!

unfortunately Nate is 1 (or perhaps even 0 if Conor wills it) win away from a title shot, and I doubt the UFC is picky about who that win is against

I could see them having him fight someone like Dustin, Al Iaquinta or Bobby Green, and if he wins then title shot
It's questionable whether Nate would even take a fight against Khabib or Ferguson. He certainly isn't fighting Iaquinta or Green at any point in his career

Hopefully the winner refuses to fight anyone but Conor unless Conor is stripped

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back