Khabib Wrestling myth

rad

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hes got good takedowns from the clinch, some ok unorthodox judo/sambo trips and uchimatas but nothing the good grappling based 155ers and WWs cant stop. His "shot" is alright nothing special .

Hes no where near Ferguson on actual wrestling level .

Ferguson is totally gonna out slick Khabib everywhere.

Hes no where near Ferguson on actual wrestling level .

Ferguson is totally gonna out slick Khabib everywhere.

I will bump this thread after the fight.

His wrestling has definitely been exagerrated a little.

The MJ fight for example, I haven't seen a single person mention the fact that MJ stuffed three of Khabib's takedowns in a row in the second round and ended up on his back because he dropped for a fucking guillotine. MJ is also terrible off his back, one of the worst in the divison in that position who offers zero attacking threat.

Yeah Tibau was huge and probably on steroids but I thought Khabib throws Luke Rockhold around and ragdolls middleweights? Khabib didn't even come close to getting Tibau down, it was effortless TDD.

Who else has Khabib fought that is either renowned for TDD or a top level BJJ game?

He very rarely relies on his shot though, he's a chain grappler and he's one of the most effective in the sport right now.

The MJ fight for example, I haven't seen a single person mention the fact that MJ stuffed three of Khabib's takedowns in a row in the second round and ended up on his back because he dropped for a fucking guillotine. MJ is also terrible off his back, one of the worst in the divison in that position who offers zero attacking threat.

Yeah Tibau was huge and probably on steroids but I thought Khabib throws Luke Rockhold around and ragdolls middleweights? Khabib didn't even come close to getting Tibau down, it was effortless TDD.

Who else has Khabib fought that is either renowned for TDD or a top level BJJ game?

Well Tibau has some of the best TDD% in the sport. I think his TDD% is like top five in the UFC and he's had a shit ton of UFC fights so its a very respectable stat. Dos Anjos has shown great TDD and i'd say is pretty close to the top of best overall grapplers at 155

I mean if you think he's some unstoppable force that can take down mws then yeah he's definitely not that good but I think Khabib is one of the best in the sport right now at what he does. When you're a chain wrestler and dont have a deep stand up game you're going to miss some TD attempts that arent set up cleanly because you're trying to apply pressure and present opportunities. Daniel Cormier gets takedowns stuffed sometimes in between moments where he is ragdolling guys. It just happens with that style.

Last edited:

Dos anjos has a decent level of BJJ and khabib wasn't able to do much damage from the top. I feel he has been exaggerated a little, the key for ferg will be stopping him getting amy clinch on him and hurt him with elbows all the time in he tries to chain grapple.

The question is not whether he'll get tony down, because he will. Question is how tony fares from the bottom. By all accounts Khabib is freaking strong on top. Tony is very active from bottom, so we'll see how Khabib does against that style. Not sure he's fought anyone with Tony's Eddie bravo style BJJ. Cannot wait. 1 week away.

Dos anjos has a decent level of BJJ and khabib wasn't able to do much damage from the top. I feel he has been exaggerated a little, the key for ferg will be stopping him getting amy clinch on him and hurt him with elbows all the time in he tries to chain grapple.
by decent level you mean black belt under Caveirinha for like 10 years? ;) I suspect Tony's style may be more effective against khabib than RDA's more traditional BJJ. I still think Khabib takes this one.

Yes, we are all excited. There haven't been good fights lately and we all need this.

He doesn't need a tremendous shot because he's one of the few people in MMA that actually chain wrestle and he's fantastic at it.

Wrestling isn't just power double legs.

he has excellent wrestling. As Rico said, wrestilng isn't just about double legs and shots. Control and being an effective clinch wrestler is a part of being good at wrestling. Tony's wrestling level.. well I would say that mostly anybody who has wrestled in Dagestan for the majority of their life, is probably at a higher level than a national champion is. Only the world champions/Medved/Yargin winners from the US, are the elite. It is why Russia, and the caucasian countries rule at wrestling, and the USA... well doesn't. Burroughs was supposed to get an effortless gold last year, only to get out worked by Geduev, then tech falled by an Uzbek guy. The truth hurts.

Back