Bellator files lawsuit against WME-UFC

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
Bellator files lawsuit to stop UFC from obtaining legal information
A class-action, antitrust lawsuit was filed against the UFC, the leading mixed martial arts organization in the world, by Cung Le, Nate Quarry and Jon Fitch, among others, in summer 2015 for monopolization.

Today, the case is still ongoing, despite the fact that the UFC requested the case to be dimissed in September 2015.

To help itself in the antitrust case, the UFC filed two subpoenas that would force financial and contractual information from Bellator MMA.

But Bellator MMA doesn’t plan on handing over said information. The organization filed the suit in hopes to quash or modify the subpoenas.

“I am informed and believe that Bellator has agreed to provide documents in response to many of the Parties’ document requests,” Bellator MMA president Scott Cokerwrote in a declaration as part of the suit’s motion. “However, Bellator cannot guarantee to produce some of the confidential documents that the Parties have demanded, as doing so would lead to grave harm to Bellator.”

Coker explained in the court document that outside organizations having access to Bellator MMA’s contracts and other legal information would allow said organizations to become aware of Bellator MMA’s plans regarding fighter signings and potential event locations, among other things. And that access to such information would destroy the organization’s ability to “develop the best overall promotion.”

“Accordingly, disclosure of Bellator's confidential information pursuant to the Nevada subpoena would give Bellator's largest and most powerful competitor a significant and unilateral advantage that would negatively harm Bellator and, in my opinion stifle competition in the MMA industry,” he said.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/2/2...ts-antitrust-case-contracts-monopoly-mma-news

e3f4751a093df23c71a9e345da2ae70a.jpg

That's more reasonable than I thought it was gonna be. Good for Bellator.

Laughing at the $4 billion mess they left for WME to clean up...

dana-white-and-fertitta-brothers.jpg

Back in the year hammer and stone both put their cards on the table, while spies got dealt with. Was a better way to go than this shit, and UFC's attempt won't pass.

Back in the year hammer and stone both put their cards on the table, while spies got dealt with. Was a better way to go than this shit, and UFC's attempt won't pass.
<24>

I don't understand the lawsuit. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Bellator has built a fighting organization identical to UFC, and has developed a lot of fame off the back of previously famous UFC fighters.

But does Bellator have a hot dog/burger brander?
I'm not good with them until they make them

I don't understand the lawsuit. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Bellator has built a fighting organization identical to UFC, and has developed a lot of fame off the back of previously famous UFC fighters.

The lawsuit has to do with the UFC trying to use discovery to look at some of Bellator's private/confidential documents to defend themselves in this lawsuit against fighters. Bellator is just suing them to stop that from happening. Won't be super shocked if WME files a counter-suit but I don't know enough law to know what it would be for.

this is dumb. this isn't a lawsuit. bellator isn't suing the ufc.

bellator simply filed a motion to quash in the ufc's antitrust lawsuit because it doesn't want to produce confidential documents as part of a subpoena. this is super standard stuff in responding to subpoenas.

this is dumb. this isn't a lawsuit. bellator isn't suing the ufc.

bellator simply filed a motion to quash in the ufc's antitrust lawsuit because it doesn't want to produce confidential documents as part of a subpoena. this is super standard stuff in responding to subpoenas.
Tell it to Bloodyelbow

I ain't no law master, maybe someone can spread some insight my way, but UFC's action makes sense to me.

Bellator and UFC have both been accused of questionable contracts and tactics, both seem be playing the same game, but UFC is winning.

Bellator is shifty as fuck. Josh Thomson has fought for coker 16 times, and only got paid 10k as the main event last weekend. Bellator needs more criticism, because if people think UFC are screwing the fighters, Bellator is raping them with a cactus.

Back