why are standing elbows prevelant in muy thai but not mma?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
BOSSE1.gif

It seems like something a lot of guys should be using but they dont. Yeah i get punches have more range but in close quarters they can do a lot of damage.

Sure mma has ground, but i still dont think it explains why thai has so many elbows and mma doesnt.

Off the top of my head, the only elbow Kos i remember are weidmans elbow, hendersons, andersons, and my personal fav from the bossman

BOSSE1.gif

It seems like something a lot of guys should be using but they dont. Yeah i get punches have more range but in close quarters they can do a lot of damage.

Sure mma has ground, but i still dont think it explains why thai has so many elbows and mma doesnt.

Off the top of my head, the only elbow Kos i remember are weidmans elbow, hendersons, andersons, and my personal fav from the bossman
cant break bricks while standing apparently

Trying to upload nick denis gif but says roo large.

Because throwing elbows inside the pocket or in the clinch makes you susceptible to your opponent getting underhooks or taking the back. Hence why MMA guys usually throw them in the break.

That's obviously not a concern in MT.

Last edited:
Fighters tend to fall in love with their hands. Probably because it looks so cool when you land some big hook KO.

Because throwing elbows inside the pocket or in the clinch makes you susceptible to your opponent getting underhooks or taking the back. Hence why MMA guys usually throw them in the break.

Taking the back is actually a high scoring move in muay thai because it shows sexual dominance.

Ronda said she was out on her feet from the first elbow Holm hit her with, early in the first, Rogan calls it a punch.

I think it depends on who you're trying to elbow like that. Clinch and trips come into play, and you end up your back against a grappler.

This right here. There's takedowns and throws in mma that affect throwing elbows. That's especially true with the spinning back elbow. See them work in MT, but only occasionally in mma. The best thing about them is that they're unexpected.

But Paul Felder threw a beauty of an up elbow on last weeks prelims. Ko's the guy. Seems you never see that, even in high level MT.

Last edited:
BOSSE1.gif

The MAIN reason is because MMA is in its infancy.

It's also uncommon for fighters to have killer knees.

Jones
Anderson
Condit
Brown
Means
Conor

All use elbows very well.

Do you understand how distance works at all?

TDs and the possibility of grappling change everything. Jones is known for throwing spinning shit because he's physically gifted enough to get away with it.

Most fighters in MMA don't have a clue about real Muay Thai, especially the finer points of the clinch. In MMA, most people think the clinch is for grabbing a double collar tie to throw knees or getting underhooks for a takedown. This is slowly changing, Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Matt Brown routinely elbow the shit out of their opponents and other fighters are starting to pick up on this tool. Paul Felder for instance just scored a TKO that was setup with a sweet up-elbow followed by another elbow for the knockdown and then a flurry of punches for the finish.

Back