Frank Mir wants out of his UFC contract, looking at Bellator.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Mir (18-11 MMA, 16-11 UFC), who’d already talked about how cutting ties with the promotion would probably work out for the best during his ongoing two-year suspension, told MMAjunkie Radio on Tuesday that he’s still looking to be released from his contract in order to try his hand at different types of competition.

“I think that Bellator and WSOF – Bellator, especially, I think the fact that they have those open contracts to where they allow their guys to fight as long as you’re not a champ and be able to compete in other areas,” Mir said. “I think that’s a great thing, because the UFC really wants to lock people down and not let you fight, which, if you need to make a name for yourself and you want to be out there, I guess is a sacrifice you have to make.

“But I think it hurts you as martial artist and that’s what I want to be, a good martial artists. I want to be able to compete in other things. I have a very strong interest in doing kickboxing matches, because I want to test stand-up in just a stand-up round, where taking the shot and putting the fight on the ground is not an option. I think that would really test my skills and ability, and make me have to rise to become a better martial artist.”

That, the ex-champ said, was “never going to be allowed” as long as he stayed with the promotion that first signed him back in 2001 – when he was only two fights into his pro MMA career. Mir says he is yet to get a reply on his request to be released, but, in any case, it doesn’t seem like a renewal is in the plans.

“When I get done with the suspension I’ll just fight out my contract and be able to move other places afterward,” Mir said.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/02/frank-...i-want-to-be-able-to-compete-in-other-things/

Hold him just to spite him.

16entourage-web2-master180.jpg

No shit, huh? 2 KO artists are rising in the division and Mr. Glass jaw wants out? Interesting turn of events.

"I want to test stand-up in just a stand-up round, where taking the shot and putting the fight on the ground is not an option. I think that would really test my skills and ability, and make me have to rise to become a better martial artist.”

while i applaud his courage, i also fear for his life.

When he said exploring other areas , I was sure he meant grappling bouts. But kickboxing?! His chin, speed and athleticism is already down the drain, afraid it won't look if he steps into the ring

No shit, huh? 2 KO artists are rising in the division and Mr. Glass jaw wants out? Interesting turn of events.

He's been very vocal about wanting out since his last fight, which is a while ago now.

we all need to pray to the just bleed gods to make Mir-Fedor before they both retire for good.

Mir is a ufc pioneer and mma legend. Will take about a few hours for Dana to start bashing him and telling him "he was never my friend"..
Go make that money Mir!
F cheap dana and wme

Both from a sporting and entertainment perspective, I really don't care where Mir fights. If I was his friend (which I am not) I would recommend that he retire.

Having said all that - I hope he gets his release and can fight wherever he wants. Bellator seems logical since they are having success with the seniors tour. I don't think that Mir has anything left in the tank but who knows?

We should just wish him best luck and to go on. He is a legend and one of the pioneers who built the UFC. It says more than any statement if someone like him wants to leave.

I like Mir in Bellator.. Could be some interesting matches there, he could also win the belt possibly. Makes sense at this stage of his career.

Mir is a ufc pioneer and mma legend. Will take about a few hours for Dana to start bashing him and telling him "he was never my friend"..
Go make that money Mir!
F cheap dana and wme

Apparently the same goes for most Sherdoggers...

I hope they let him go.

Frank Mir's days at the top are long gone. I like Mir and it would suck to watch the UFC feed him to some young contenders to build their names.

Would be great to see him in Rizin. If anybody could use an assist it's Mir. He's taken a ton of punishment over the years.....but I guess healthy Carwin is over there now....I don't want to see Frank Mir murdered in Japan.

They should let him leave on one condition. He has to do commentary.

Mir - Cruz is my commentary dream team.

Boy, I'd sure love to see Mir vs Kongo 2. It's right at the top of my list. Mir was suspended in April 2016, if he's got two years for the suspension then he's got a ways to go till he's free.

Can't wait to see Mir vs Kongo II headline one of Bellator's biggest events of the year

Mir (18-11 MMA, 16-11 UFC), who’d already talked about how cutting ties with the promotion would probably work out for the best during his ongoing two-year suspension, told MMAjunkie Radio on Tuesday that he’s still looking to be released from his contract in order to try his hand at different types of competition.

“I think that Bellator and WSOF – Bellator, especially, I think the fact that they have those open contracts to where they allow their guys to fight as long as you’re not a champ and be able to compete in other areas,” Mir said. “I think that’s a great thing, because the UFC really wants to lock people down and not let you fight, which, if you need to make a name for yourself and you want to be out there, I guess is a sacrifice you have to make.

“But I think it hurts you as martial artist and that’s what I want to be, a good martial artists. I want to be able to compete in other things. I have a very strong interest in doing kickboxing matches, because I want to test stand-up in just a stand-up round, where taking the shot and putting the fight on the ground is not an option. I think that would really test my skills and ability, and make me have to rise to become a better martial artist.”

That, the ex-champ said, was “never going to be allowed” as long as he stayed with the promotion that first signed him back in 2001 – when he was only two fights into his pro MMA career. Mir says he is yet to get a reply on his request to be released, but, in any case, it doesn’t seem like a renewal is in the plans.

“When I get done with the suspension I’ll just fight out my contract and be able to move other places afterward,” Mir said.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/02/frank-...i-want-to-be-able-to-compete-in-other-things/

If I'm the UFC I made him fight out his contract. He's not making any title runs but I see no reason in bolstering Bellator's decent HW division with a name like Mir. Fedor/Kongo/Rampage/Mir/King Mo/Lashley/Minakov/Sergei/etc. is a decent division. Yeah they're mainly old stars but that's what most of the UFC HW division is too.

Back