Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le

The White Mamba

"Cold Stone Steve Austin" - Mike Goldberg
@Blue
Reaction score
I just got done doing a shit ton of work and wanted to watch some old fights to chill for a bit. Anyone else love this fight? Silva had just gotten KO'ed by Leben in embarrassing fashion and a win was much needed. This was the first time we saw old school Pride Silva in a long time. Those knees at the end are just brutal.

http://mmaversus.com/2011/11/20/wanderlei-silva-vs-cung-le-fight-video-ufc-139/

How can you not love this fight. Two guys roid raging in an octagon is guaranteed violence

#roidsrule

Wand should be suspended for medical malpractice for doing Cung Le's botched nose job

That fight was obviously cung lefinally getting a fighter's nose. He still thanks Silva for that

That was a great night of MMA. Shogun vs Hendo, Wand vs Cung and Alvarez vs Chandler

How can you not love this fight. Two guys roid raging in an octagon is guaranteed violence

#roidsrule

TRT Le was underrated, gave us some good fights at the end of his career. Wish we saw him in his prime in the UFC too.

That was a great fight. Le had beaten Frank Shamrock and was starting to get waaaaayyyyy overrated. That hype train got derailed right alone with Cung Le's nose getting derailed.

Great fight. I remember being worried when Wand got dropped by a backfist. Seemed like his chin was going to let him down, but he beat the piss out of Le afterwards.

#roidsrule

hqdefault.jpg

natty fighting championships

I was worried about Cung Le for this fight. People kept saying Wanderlei was done after the Leben fight but I knew he was still capable of being dangerous and Cung Le was coming off of a long layoff which led to his first loss. So the first Round was going smoothly until near the end for Cung Le and then he started slowing down in the second Round and I kept thinking to myself that he was going to get knocked out if this keeps up. Then Wanderlei fucking brutalized him looking like The Axe Murderer of the PRIDE days. In fact it was one of his most brutal KOs ever. Cung Le haters love that fight.

I have this poster signed by the entire card, so yea I definitely remember it. Good reminder as to how solid PPV's were back then. They didn't even need a title fight on it to sell that shit.

I just enjoyed seeing that sanshou clown gettíng his ass handed to him.
Overrated c-level cuck<{Joewithit}>

Was sitting at BW's and this dude just kept saying "man, Wanderlei is gonna get knocked out. Retire".

So happy for that fight.

The whole card was insane.

I just don't get that same vibe rewatching Wanderlei's fights... It was a great journey to follow live, all the way up to the Hendo fight... but since then, its been pretty rocky and not just about the wins-losses, but about the performances... then it got worse when he started cutting staged promos against Sonnen, the whole running from a random test, and it just became an impossible thing once he went on about the UFC fixing fights and having proof.

Once the ufc sued him it was over for me as a fan really. I was also unfortunate enough to watch the staged promo he had against Krazy Horse this year. Just unbearable at this point. I'm glad his lifetime ban got lifted, and I'm glad the UFC released him... hope he can leave the sport with some fond memories for his fans. Its been a pretty fucked up ride the past few years.

Gotta love Wand, it's like every time he got KTFO he still came back with a wobbly chin and somehow managed to win a brutal slugfest later(See Stann fight).

Also what do ya know, when Wanderlei decides to use kicks and knees he is all of a sudden a much better fighter than a hooking puncher.

This was a fantastic fight and showed us a glimpse of the old Wanderlei that used kicks and knees along with the quick hooks to get things done. Made me a little nostalgic to watch, way back in the day. Turns out I still enjoy watching this one.

Never really was sold on Cung Le. His style of fighting, spotty cardio, and advanced age just never seemed like they'd lend themselves towards a true championship level of MMA. Getting sparked by Scott Smith early on in his career didn't help alter that perception either mind you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back