Prime Rampage vs Current Rumble

Touch of Death

Free @Soul On Ice
@Brown
Reaction score
Inspired by the Wand vs Machida thread, this is a match-up that always interested me.

Rampage is an all time top 5 LHW of all time, IMO number 2.
He was at his best probably in the Hendo fight.

Rumble is the most dangerous striker in that division with dynamite in his hands.
But Rampage had one of the GOAT chins in MMA.

Who wins and how?

Rampage via decision
If they meet now, Rumble would probably stop him late

Slampage. I could see Rampage getting rocked early but then it ending with rumble crying...

I love Rampage but i feel Rumble is the more precise striker and is less likely to get drawn into a slugfest leaving himself vulnerable. Rumble by KO in the third

Rampage easy. Only idiot fans of current UFC think differently.

I'd go with rumble via unanimous decision. Gotta think it would be a standup fight. Rumble has more diverse striking and power. He actually uses kicks. While rampage had a great chin he's been knocked out before while rumble has never been wobbled by strikes. So rumble has more power, a larger repertoire of strikes and better defense. How does rampage win?

Man, I don't know who wins. It would be one helluva fight though.

I'd go with rumble via unanimous decision. Gotta think it would be a standup fight. Rumble has more diverse striking and power. He actually uses kicks. While rampage had a great chin he's been knocked out before while rumble has never been wobbled by strikes. So rumble has more power, a larger repertoire of strikes and better defense. How does rampage win?
I can agree with Rumble being the more diverse striker. But how would rampage win? Answer : more heart. Fumble has been known to fade where as rampage has the chin and toughness to make a comeback and KO rumble. Eitherway it would be one helluva fight!

Rampage easy. Only idiot fans of current UFC think differently.

I've watched both of their careers quite thoroughly (in their respective eras) and think it's pretty clear that Johnson has the superior striking accuracy and power in his hands.

I'm not saying this as a slight to Rampage. Would be an awesome matchup.

Last edited:
I've watched both of their careers quite thoroughly (in their respective eras) and think it's pretty clear that Johnson had the superior striking accuracy and power in his hands.

I'm not saying this as a slight to Rampage. Would be an awesome matchup.

But rampage has great defense standing, I can see him counter dropping right rumble.

Didn't vitor rock him before submitting him? I don't remember 100% but I thought he did.

Rampage UD. Rumble is super dangerous but folds when the going gets tough

But rampage has great defense standing, I can see him counter dropping right rumble.

He had some good boxing and counter hooks, but I think it was pretty repetitive and prone to scouting in the long term. Not to say that this point is relevant, as this is a fantasy matchup.

Didn't vitor rock him before submitting him? I don't remember 100% but I thought he did.

He didn't. I just rewatched the fight. Rumble falls down while they were attempting to clinch and Vitor starts landing blows to a downed rumble.

Rampage was UFC LHW champion... the man to dethrone Chuck Liddell.

He also unified the UFC championship and the Pride Championship. During this exact time, Rumble was tapping out to Rich Clementi at WW.

This is a silly comparison. Yes, Rumble has been rejuvenated at LHW, but its still the same guy who gives up his back and the RNC when he can't overwhelm with size and power.

He didn't. I just rewatched the fight. Rumble falls down while they were attempting to clinch and Vitor starts landing blows to a downed rumble.

Alright I didn't remember 100%. I only saw it once when it happend, I guess I thought he was rocked. I believe you, I might watch it later, thanks.

Back