Does the UFC Give Foreign Fighters Less Fights?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the UFC covers the costs of fighters' and their teams flights and hotel rooms, that's a lot of extra money to have a foreign fighter on the card.

Even with the guaranteed pay for 3 fights a year, it makes more business sense just to have them sit on the sidelines and pay them for not fighting. ESPECIALLY with guys from Asia. Those travel costs aren't cheap and there are never any cards in Asia like in Brazil to cheapen the travel costs.

If I ran the UFC, that'd be my line of thought. I'd have Asian guys fight once or twice a year and then just pay them to sit out. After all, why pay for a team to travel from Asia when you can just pay for a guy that already lives in the US' travel?

you do see a lot of the non-US fighters only fighting on cards that take place their country

Yeah, definitely. Especially when taking into account how often the UFC travels across the sea. It isn't a lot.

Yeah, definitely. Especially when taking into account how often the UFC travels across the sea. It isn't a lot.
Dam if I were a foreign fighter, I'd hate to fight for the UFC.

How can you stay motivated to compete and be the best if you only get to practice your craft once or twice a year? I'd lose all motivation to train hard.

What you're saying makes sense.

Especially with the new management, whose strategy seems to be built around cutting costs, as opposed to expanding their audience into foreign markets. Which, by the way, makes zero dollars or sense to me.

Of course. Did you expect anything else from America-based promotion?

Of course. Did you expect anything else from America-based promotion?
I'd expect the same from any promotion. Anyone that didn't cut costs when there aren't any extra benefits would be stupid and go out of business, deservedly.

If you do a plumbing job in Japan, would you hire a Japanese plumber or pay thousands of dollars to fly in an American plumber, pay for his hotel room, and get him a VISA?

Back