flaws in the new eye poke rule

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Me and my friends were talking about this.

So the new rule is that you can only extend closed fisted or palm out.

Eyepokes can still be done with palm out. While not as easy as fingers extended, palm out fist can still result, and has resulted, in eye pokes.

So if someone has palms out and Eyepokes, is that still grounds for a foul, assuming it was accidental?

Closed fist would work, but if a guy opens his hands to grab for a clinch, an eyepoke can happen.

Another problem is ref choice. If guys get penalized for it more we mighy see fights end on DQs. Im just guessing that a ref would try to avoid this in order to keep fans happy. So we might not see instant point deductions or DQs like the new rule seems to suggest. At that point we are back to where we started

Though better than before, i dont know how foolproof these plans are. Problems can still arise.

The better plan wouldve been to establish a new glove like in pride. But the ufc seems to have too much pride to copy that sort of glove.

You dont have to sacrifice finger grip for knuckle protection. A slight curve to keep the fingers down would be enough. Sure you can still get pokes with those gloves, but combined with the new rules it might take away at least 70 percent of them

Just my 2 cents

In my view it takes away from the grappling aspect . But whatever , if it saves on eye pokes then so be it .

d7ArXZk.jpg

7705287694_0a50db1f6f_o.jpg

Eye poking is a foul regardless of how it happens. The new rule attempts to make it happen less often by making the situation most likely to result in eye pokes itself a foul.

And here's the dirty little secret about rules: none of them are foolproof, because you can just break them. And in MMA it's incredibly likely you won't be punished for it.

You forget how much those Pride gloves broke down and or ripped? They were pretty bad. Just take points immediately and it will curb fighters strategies *cough Jones cough*. If he's a known eye poker warn before the fight and take a point immediately

I don't think they're quite there yet with this new rule. It seems like they've tried to fix a problem in some fights by creating a problem in all fights. Parrying will suffer with the way it is now and you'll see fighters stopped often to be told to close their fists. I think they need to consider how outstretched a fighters arms are as well.

Those close-range eye pokes which happen when fighters try to push away and make space are still going to happen. They're trying to stop the Jones technique which happens at distance, but I think they've been too broad. There has to be a better option. It needs work.

Fighters having fingers at all can result in eye pokes. Get rid of those and everything will be hunky dorky.

i agree it's not perfect, but OTOH you cannot name a policy change that is. it's better, and they implemented a better policy. that's a good thing.

Kos was breaking that rule again and again and was only warned once. it's going to be a bitch to implement. i hope they take away many points and drive the point home.

i agree that they should change the gloves also. some claim submissions are harder with those gloves, but it's not like PrideFC had a submission drought.

This new rule limits fighters' abilities whether it makes harder for them to eye-poke or not.

Now you can't:
  • poke your opponent at all
  • grab your opponent by the wrists properly
  • push your opponent's leg kicks away properly
  • keep your opponent at bay by pushing on his head with your fingers (Jones)
  • distract your opponent more effectively (by waving open hands around)
  • block a greater area of your opponent's view (by extending your open hand in front of his eyes)
  • slap your opponent (I haven't seen this one ever but, nevertheless, you can't do it now)

I think the best rule against eye pokes (accidental or not) is to
  • take a part of the culprit's purse away every time he pokes someone
  • take one point away from him if he pokes someone twice
  • disqualify him if he pokes someone three times or his opponent's injury looks serious enough to significantly impact the remainder of the fight

P. S. Everything should be allowed in MMA except groin shots, eye pokes, and post-KO brutality (even one punch after you KO someone should be a serious penalty).

You forget how much those Pride gloves broke down and or ripped? They were pretty bad. Just take points immediately and it will curb fighters strategies *cough Jones cough*. If he's a known eye poker warn before the fight and take a point immediately

Great post right here.

Back