Edson Barboza Chin

Giblert2015

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is Edson Barboza really that chinny?
I think his chin is just fine and he has good recovery, took some hard shots against Castillo and Ferguson and he wasnt that hurt against Melendez like people said he was.
I know he got dropped by a jab and tko'ed against Varner but that was long ago and he had many fights since then.

He has not the best chin, but it's not bad. It's more like on of those sherdog myths. Edsons striking defense has also gotten a lot better in his recent fights.

His biggest issue is his pace and gas tank. His arms were dead leading to the stoppage in the Ferguson fight and it was only the 2nd round.

Most worrisome is that his strike output isn't even that high. It's just that every strike he throws is a major explosion. As pretty as it is, it's simply not economical to this energy levels.

His biggest issue is his pace and gas tank. His arms were dead leading to the stoppage in the Ferguson fight and it was only the 2nd round.

Most worrisome is that his strike output isn't even that high. It's just that every strike he throws is a major explosion. As pretty as it is, it's simply not economical to this energy levels.
I think he took the Ferguson fight in a few weeks notice after Khalabib pulled out as usual

he got pushed in the michael johnson fight and it still was competitive, even though he lost all 3 rounds. didnt gas out too

I think the weak chin Edson ended after the Michael Johnson and Tony fights

Yea, I'm throwing that one to him getting illegally kicked in the face on the ground and BJM acting like it wasn't a big deal.

I think part of it used to be that Edson was very tense in the cage, and thus didn't naturally roll with any punches.

Now that he seems more comfortable, that issue seems to have gone away.

I think the weak chin Edson ended after the Michael Johnson and Tony fights

Especially that standing elbow from Ferguson that made Barboza's face paint the canvas red. Barboza took it well.

Is Edson Barboza really that chinny?
I think his chin is just fine and he has good recovery, took some hard shots against Castillo and Ferguson and he wasnt that hurt against Melendez like people said he was.
I know he got dropped by a jab and tko'ed against Varner but that was long ago and he had many fights since then.

He doesn't have an offensive grappling skillset. And he also avoids the ground work like the plague.

This is why he fights the way he fights and looks the way he looks. He's 1 dimensional in modern day MMA.

He's definitely chinny, but he's doing a better job of rolling with the punches, seeing them coming, keeping his defense on point. It's something he can overcome for the most part. Getting kayoed by a jab against Cowboy made his chin look worse than it really is. He still should have been able to take that shot, but in his defense, he closed his eyes and went to swing as the punch was landing, which made it a lot harder to take that shot. He can eat shots like that all day if he sees them coming.

Back