anyone else not looking forward to the GSP point fighting return

defcon5

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was a fan of the GSP that threw spinning back kicks like the one that he caught Mayhem with. However his last several fights were all about point fighting and shabby wins. If GSP plays this game again i hope someone knocks his block off so hard he permanently retires.

Id prefer he stayed retired.

Dude is boring as hell. I have to admit it would be fun to watch someone like robbie ktfo him

Just Bleed god disciples sure aint looking forward to his return
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

One of the greatest MMAists of all time is coming back and people are still moaning.

<{gspressed}>

His fights may not be that exciting but the hype associated with him coming back and how he'd perform after such a long layoff alone gets me excited.

He didn't point fight when he didn't have the belt, but then again, he probably didn't have big $$$, so was probably hungrier then.

He might fight to finish if he has something to prove like he's still got it.

People want the whole package nowadays as in they want the whole "show", hes effective but as boring as hell in and out of the cage, Im not that bothered really.

A multi year layoff is a big thing. Post USADA is a big thing. Being older is a big thing. New competition at the top of the division is a big thing. A multi million dollar payday is a big thing. There are a lot of reasons that I am interested in seeing what kind of GSP shows up, and if he looks anything like the dominant champ that he was.

(as far as the USADA remark, that's not specific to him, just something that is in all fighters lives. Some were affected by it, some weren't. Not speculating either way.)

I was a fan of the GSP that threw spinning back kicks like the one that he caught Mayhem with. However his last several fights were all about point fighting and shabby wins. If GSP plays this game again i hope someone knocks his block off so hard he permanently retires.
The Hendricks and Condit fights were great. Both fight of the night.

The striking game has evolved so much since he's been gone, I think he's in for a rude awakening and I can't wait to see it. Nothing against GSP, one of the top 3 GOATs easily, but I'd like to see how he handles it. Some intriguing matchups exist with him; can he handle Tyron's pure power and wrestling? Maia's insane BJJ? Thompson's distance control?

(as far as the USADA remark, that's not specific to him, just something that is in all fighters lives. Some were affected by it, some weren't. Not speculating either way.)

Many people did speculate though so that in itself is very interesting indeed. If he's caught using PED's his legacy will be ruined far worse than Anderson Silva's was.

Many people did speculate though so that in itself is very interesting indeed. If he's caught using PED's his legacy will be ruined far worse than Anderson Silva's was.
It was speculated for most I would assume. I mean, pre USADA, most fighters were probably using something. And who could blame them? If your opponents are using and not getting caught, then why shouldn't you? Now adays it's different, and you gotta be clean. I would assume he'd come back clean, he'd be an idiot not to, and he doesn't seem like an idiot.

I don't dislike GSP. I feel like he should've stuck with his retiremwnt, though. He not only suffered career altering injuries while he was fighting, he also did after the retirement.
Say what you say about him, but he was fighting the best challengers available, and went through at least 2 generations of top WW.
No need to tarnish that, imo. And fighting Bisping would just be a weird move, especially for the belt.

But with less mobility and explosiveness, what are the odds of GSP returning and wrecking shit like he used to do in the early part of his career?
I think there are better odds of him having less ability and losing to guys he previously would have beaten.

Hard to finish when guys turn into defensive shells

GSP is a technical masterclass, look at his clinic on Nick Diaz i bet he still has nightmares about those knees in the fetal position. He is boring if you want him to loose, as he never looked like giving an inch even against Hendricks he never truly looked troubled.

The guy retired with the belt, something never done before. I feel he's just asking to tarnish his legacy as a top 3 GOAT by giving himself an opportunity to lose in the modern-era or even worse go out for the second time on a loss. Hendricks absolutely destroyed him but the history books care about what's on paper. Not to mention the absolute killers currently at WW that were not even on the radar when he hung them up. (Magny, Maia, Lawler, Thompson, Woodley, etc.)
tl;dr should NOT return imo

Hendricks beat the shit out him that's 4 sure, it took 3 years for GSP forget about that.

Not sure what GSP spends his money on maybe he's looking at poor street or just wants be relevant again. Either way he's facing a steep slope in his return.

Yeah, you know, guys like Condit, Diaz and Hendricks are super easy to finish, as evidenced by the plethora of guys that have finished them.

Back