Heavyweight is the most improved weightclass in the UFC. Agree?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
It is crazy to see how quickly things can change; just a year ago the division felt completely dead but now....

HW has a champion who has challengers that aren't all rematches.

We have Francis Ngammou, Curtis Blaydes, and Derrick Lewis as prospects.

Vitaly Minakov probably joins this summer

Bilyal Makhov - the super athlete russian heavyweight will probably fight someone in his mma debut this summer.

9ZOgqGO.png

The fact that 30 year old fighters, with no particular skill set, such as Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou are considered prospects really shows the state of the division.

The fact that 30 year old fighters, with no particular skill set, such as Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou are considered prospects really shows the state of the division.
Ageist.

Heavyweight has shown that a fighter can be successful at a much older age than the lighter weight classes so I grade that one a curve.

Back in 2005 your up and coming prospect was Werdum, just to give comparison to today's MMA and MMA a decade ago.

155-205 will always be the core. Anything above or below is crust.

205 sucks now days. Its a 4 fighter weight class, 1 of those fighters is a screw up that might not make it back and the other is old as balls. Plus aside from Rumble vs Jones they've already faced each other.

There are no prospects to get excited over either. 205 would be my least improved winner.

Is this a joke?

The champs next fight is a rematch against a guy who has 1 win in 2016 and 1 loss in 2015, 1-1 in the past 2+ years (29 months).

JDS is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. When the "#1 contender" has that kind of recent record, it says a lot about the state of a division.

If heavyweight is such a shitshow, why doesnt a 205er just come up and clean house?

Because they cant. Heavyweight is, and always will be, the most prestigious division. The true 'baddest man on the planet' is the hw champ.

Pretty sure this is a troll job

Heavyweight Fights were always the most entertaining because the fighters are too big to be dancing around the octagon for 5 minutes let alone 3-5 rounds. They usually end early from the result of a KO which is never a disappointment.

No, I think pretty much anything above middleweight has started to go down hill.

Is this a joke?

The champs next fight is a rematch against a guy who has 1 win in 2016 and 1 loss in 2015, 1-1 in the past 2+ years (29 months).

JDS is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. When the "#1 contender" has that kind of recent record, it says a lot about the state of a division.

JDS isn't worthy of a title shot but a champ having a chance to redeem a loss from 2 years ago is still a fight of interest for me.

Back