Does Black Beast's run thru UFC HW division say more about him or the division itself?

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
losing to guys like Shawn and Mitrione and now on top of the world. what does it say more about

It's a bit of both. Ultimately, I don't even think his success is the biggest indictment on the lack of talent in the Heavyweight division. Brendan Schaub and Travis Browne winning fights and being ranked fairly high was pretty pathetic.

It says more about the nature of fighting and that a guy who doesn't "look good" conventionally can be good or very good, even if they've had losses before.

Bisping
Forrest
Tate
Rothwell
Sylvia
Shields
Phil Davis
Glover (people complain about him being slow)
etc.

Meanwhile fighters who "look great" visually can fail to make it anywhere like Erick Silva, Hall, Thatch, Duffee etc.

Aesthetics aren't real fighting. :D You can look as sloppy, slow, "unskilled" as shit but if you get the results it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
The division is crap... the fact that either of those two are in the top ten shows how shallow HW is right now

When you fight in the 11-25 range, there's a lot of "pick em" matchups.

He lost a couple early on, has won most of them lately.

Doesn't really say much.

First off, he's had a bit of luck with that nelson decision, and almost getting finished vs Browne.

He also weighs more than the 265 pound limit, which means he can have 20-40 pounds on his opponent come fight night. That has to be taken into consideration. I don't think anybody in their right mind would argue he is the more skilled fighter between himself and Browne.

If somebody with his skill set, or lack there of, can go on such a streak, it makes the division look terrible, that's why I've always argued that 235-245 maximum should be the limit at heavyweight.

The only names he has beaten are guys that are on the verge of retirement...

Come back to me when he beats someone like Overeem, Stipe, JDS, Cain, Werdum, Hunt

run thru ? how about jds, cain, stipe, overeem ..... he didnt beat anyone good yet

He run through who .......Cain,JDS,Reem,Stipe,Werdum........
Who did he beat ?

He'll lose to body shots in his next fight.

He's going to beat Cain, Werdum, Ngannou, and Stipe all at once with ease. Black Beast by easy ko.

His "run thru" the heavyweight division is way less accomplished than the guy he just beat. He has scraped by in his last two fights, almost losing both, but his luck may soon run out, especially when he fights the upper echelon of the division. As I mentioned earlier, not long ago Browne was finishing Barnett and Overeem, and most thought he was going to streamroll Werdum before their first fight.

UFC's HW division has always been trash. They had to buy out Strikeforce to get some decent talent in there, and they washed Bork Lesnar. Before that Fedor was beating up their champs in Affliction.

Both the UFC's LHW and HW divisions are extremely shallow. Lewis might do okay against the gate keepers, but he'll get finished regularly as soon as he fights top contenders.

Ngannou has the biggest potential of the HW's. But most casuals won't know who he is unless the UFC starts actively pushing him.

I'd say both, The division is clearly bleak right now, but Lewis is to be taken very seriously at this point. A fight with him vs Hunt would be FIRE!!

Both.

Outside of maybe 3 or 4 guys with decent skillsets, the HW division is like a toughman contest.

Mr Swangin n Bangin has head-decapitating power, so even with his one-dimensional skillset, he can mow thru a good portion of the clowns at HW.

Until he beats Ronda at an all you eat buffet, I'm not impressed.

Damn, if he wins that, just think how bad he'll have to poop then!

Back