Opinion on SBG?

bjjguy2016

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is SBG a money making mcdojo or is it a proper gym or a Mcdojo? Seriously SBG msbchetser,SBG Ireland please tell me opinions on coaches kavanagh and tanswell

They have some good fighters. Proof is in the pudding.

sbg_free_clear21.png

They'll never have an UFC champion ever again and their future fighters will be prelims hightlight reels for real talented Americans, Russians and Brazilians. Kavanagh will be the future Edmond.

It's an actual gym? I thought it was Conor's promotional office, things that make you go hmmm...

theyve got 2-3 gym's now

theres the main one, coach roddy's gym in charlestown, and i thought that Paddy was opening up a branch but i might have dreamt that

edit: yeh there a third gym now, Paddy has his own gym

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/...ans-new-gym-sbg-tallaght-in-this-is-jobstown/

So SBG Charlestown (North Dublin), SBG Dublin and SBG Tallaght (Southwest Dublin)

the gym's all did ok before mcgregor, and they will do ok after mcgregor

Last edited:
SBG isn't even Kavanagh's creation. He talked about this on a recent podcast. Dude stole that ideal from Matt Thornton while getting his ass kicked at some 3rd rate event in Africa.

A7paPab.jpg

I'm sure it's a good gym
The fighters are all pretty good

I don't think it's a tristar or Jackson wink but I'm sure it's good

Their standing hammerfist is legit.

What does SBG even stand for?

Sisterhood of Bum Guys...

Silly British Girls...

Sucky Bum Gaylords...

Do McDojos produce 2-division UFC champs? No? Well then you've got your answer.

SBG Ireland has all of one (1) world-class fighter and a ton of clingers-on.

Kavanagh is a cuck.

after conor retires they will be forgotten. i dont see any guy there who could make waves in the ufc. gallagher is too soft and will be exposed if he faces anyone good

after conor retires they will be forgotten. i dont see any guy there who could make waves in the ufc. gallagher is too soft and will be exposed if he faces anyone good

Give Gallagher some time. The kid is 20 years old. His last two opponents in Bellator were a joke and Medvedovsky on friday isn't a big name as well, but it's not a good idea to feed him to the lions.

And yes, SBG is a great gym. You have to remember that MMA is still a niche sport in europe. Conor is unique, but they have some good prospects in Dublin.

They seem like a somewhat decent gym but I seriously can't stand Kavanagh or his smug personality and attitude. His hero warship, pot stirring, d-ck riding and social media remarks make me hate the guy and root against him on an Edmund like level. It's crazy too because Gunnar seems so polite and humble.

Straight blast gym is a very legitimate Jiu Jitsu school, with a solid emphasis on fundamentals. They bring major clout to any regional competitive scene they take part in, as well as having produced multiple IBJJF world champions, Mundial medal holders, and a host of other accolades in the BJJ-sphere.
Thornton, the founder, is the first black belt under Chris Haueter, who was one of the original 12 black belts in the US and has a martial arts lineage you can trace to the Machado brothers in Brazil and JKD's Dan Isatano. His teachings and methods, and those utilized by the black belts under him, have been widely successful and thus business has flourished to the point where there are now over 50 locations, spanning multiple continents.
Kavanagh is one of two third degree black belts under Thornton and, with his stable of fighters, is spearheading SBG's foray into the global MMA scene. Their success thus far is undeniable.
So to answer your question, they're no Mcdojo. Whether or not they'll become a prominent figure at the highest levels of MMA though, remains to be seen.

theyve got 2-3 gym's now

theres the main one, coach roddy's gym in charlestown, and i thought that Paddy was opening up a branch but i might have dreamt that

edit: yeh there a third gym now, Paddy has his own gym

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/...ans-new-gym-sbg-tallaght-in-this-is-jobstown/

So SBG Charlestown (North Dublin), SBG Dublin and SBG Tallaght (Southwest Dublin)

the gym's all did ok before mcgregor, and they will do ok after mcgregor

One in Swords as well that Chris Fields opened shortly after Paddy. Belfast, Cork and Laois.

Back