All top fights should have appointed replacement fighter.

Echo_Bliss

WHAT?!
@Green
Reaction score
All top card fights - title matches, main and co-main events need to be given a replacement fighter announced at the time of the fight. For example, it would look like this:

"We are proud to announce GSP vs Michael Bisping with Demian Maia as a replacement fighter!" - Then, Maia could be given a fight on the same card - with the stipulation that if either GSP or Bisping pulls out, Maia will be inserted. This gives all fighters a fair chance - both fighters know who the potential replacement is, the potential replacement knows to be on the A-Game, and is given a fight - with the knowledge that he will be promoted if one of the contestants has an issue.

I think this would be a brilliant way to salvage many cards broken by injury.

I think it would be hard to implement but it's a decent idea certainly worth more discussion

I think they try to unofficially do that now as is though

so they have a fight on the card just in case someone else falls out, so what happens to the other guy that the replacement is meant to fight if that does happen? does THAT fight have a replacement? How many people are on retainer just in case?

also, do you split training, training for this guy and that guy and the potential third man?

This is an idea only implemented in an ideal world where everything is cut and dry. It isn't the world we live in.

All top card fights - title matches, main and co-main events need to be given a replacement fighter announced at the time of the fight. For example, it would look like this:

"We are proud to announce GSP vs Michael Bisping with Demian Maia as a replacement fighter!" - Then, Maia could be given a fight on the same card - with the stipulation that if either GSP or Bisping pulls out, Maia will be inserted. This gives all fighters a fair chance - both fighters know who the potential replacement is, the potential replacement knows to be on the A-Game, and is given a fight - with the knowledge that he will be promoted if one of the contestants has an issue.

I think this would be a brilliant way to salvage many cards broken by injury.

I don't think you could have the replacement fighter on the same card if the original combatants both are cleared. But the replacement fighter could still be getting paid to train and stay in shape. Far from a perfect plan but not horrible either.

Last edited:
undefined.jpeg

The problem is that too many fight cards are ruined by incidents. And everyone taking last second mystery opponents ruins the element of a pure fight. This idea allows both the replacement opponent - and the fighter who's opponent gets nixed - to be prepared for the outcome.

It is a good idea but announcing it like that would be fucking lame.

I think that you are crazy,but that's just my opinion.Sorry,if am wrong

It is a good idea but announcing it like that would be fucking lame.

Why? Wouldn't it be even more lame to have either...
1. The fight is nixed and card ruined.
2. Someone jumps in creating an excuse "I didn't get to train enough for -that- opponent".

I think it would be better to let all parties know in advance who the replacement is.

Exactly Bro,

UFC just needs to essentially double their roster. I'm sure that wouldn't be fantastically expensive.

I think that you are crazy,but that's just my opinion.Sorry,if am wrong

Perhaps a little, but crazy is the mark of brilliance. At one time, it was "crazy" that anyone would have a use for a thing called a "computer" in their home...

so the replacement fighter (example: Maia) also has an alternative opponent in case he isn't needed as a replacement?

good idea but it demands a lot from the replacement with unknown reward (other than a salary). The replacement still needs a full camp and weight cut, in case, yet he isn't guaranteed a fight. he can't breathe a sigh of relieve until fight day (in case one of the main fighters pull out the day-of). he has to train for 2 opponent styles (cus either one can drop out).

it will absolutely suck to physically and mentally peak for a fight then instead of a fight, you're asked to have a seat or go home and relax.

Any fighter that pulls out of a fight for any reason should take that L via forfeit

"Oh that's unfair everyone gets injured" -- if it happens to everyone then everyone will have these Ls via forfeit so it'll all even out

"Fighters will just fight injured and put their own health at risk" -- all fighters have to pass a physical by a third party doctor just prior to the fight

Having fighters cut weight without a guaranteed fight is a problem.

Yeah let's just force half the roster to sit on the sidelines as "replacements" for fights that probably won't need them anyway.

Phenomenal idea.

I get what your saying, but its impossible to train for three different fighters in one training camp.

Another newbie who thinks he's the first to come up with an "obvious" solution. Can imagine asking Maia to do 3 month training camp in order to maybe fight for championship or just some other top ranked guy who might get stiffed if Maia is called upon.
Next this guy will suggest fighters should be able to get their own sponsors, it's not fair Conor gets to pick and choose, tournament format, etc

Back