Cris Cyborg talks about the backlash over false USADA violation, her haters and losing sponsorships.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
After a two-month investigation, Justino was granted a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for Spironolactone, a physician-prescribed diuretic. Though the drug is commonly taken to mask the use of steroids, it was determined that Justino was treating a “common endocrine disorder” by USADA, and was therefore granted the retroactive TUE.

Still, perception is everything in the fight game. And “Cyborg” had to endure a lot of presumptions and judgment while the investigation was being conducted.

For the last couple of months, Justino has seen her name smeared in the media and among fans for popping hot a second time to a banned substance. The first time she tested positive was in 2011, when she popped for stanozolol after a 16-second destruction of Hiroko Yamanaka in Strikeforce. That time she served a year suspension, but carried an asterisk with her from that moment forward.

Among the most vocal about her steroid associations was Ronda Rousey, the former bantamweight champion who was — for years — the dream fight for Cyborg in women’s MMA.

“Ronda before, she speaked so much about me, and she tried to ruin my name and speak a lot of things,” Cyborg said during an interview on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “And I think five years she was doing this, because she wanted to avoid fighting me. And she tried make bad my name and that there was no need to fight me. But everybody can now see the reality. She lost her two fights, and didn’t come back until after one year after the loss to Holly Holm.

“Obviously I’m going to have haters. Man, I got to say I love my haters because they challenge myself…it challenges me. It challenges me to be better. It challenges me to show who I am, and that I deserve to be who I am.”

Cyborg was cageside for de Randamie’s victory over Holm in Brooklyn, and even posed for a picture with the new featherweight champion afterwards. If the UFC was flying her out to watch the fight, there was reason to believe that she would soon be absolved of her predicament with the UFC’s third-party arbiters.

Throughout the USADA investigation, Cyborg said she remained confident that she would be cleared in the latest incident, as she knew her case was explicable. Still, she lost endorsement money and other opportunities.

“It was a tough time, but I knew I did nothing wrong, I had not cheated,” she told Ariel Helwani.

“I lost a lot of public appearances, I lost sponsors, during the two-month investigation. But I’m happy, everything’s great now, and I have to say thank you to my team, to my lawyer, thank you to Jeff Novitzy who works for UFC who helped me and my team go through everything in the process.”

Cyborg said that part of the problem with USADA’s process of dealing with a potential banned substance offender is that the red flag shows are flown before the public ahead of any actual investigation. In that way, a lot of people presume guilt over innocence, which then becomes injurious to the brand.

“People judge before,” Cyborg said. “The problem is that some media, they don’t know what’s going on. And a guy like Joe Rogan, who has six million followers [on Twitter], and these guys say I cheated and that I’m going to be banned for life, and then people believe that. People don’t wait to see the results, they judge.”

Asked what it felt like to get the call last Monday, telling her she’d been granted a TUE and was clear to fight again, she said it was relieving.

“I was really stressed about everything, because I did a mistake one time in my life, and then I learned a lot of things about this mistake,” she said. “And the one thing I learned the first time, just some people stay with you. This time, same thing. These are the people I really trust, who stay with me, and I appreciate everyone.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...lingering-perceptions-and-dealing-with-haters

haha, Gal has a voice deeper than Rocky Balboa.

LOVE Cyborg, but let's be a little real here.

“Obviously I’m going to have haters. Man, I got to say I love my haters because they challenge myself…it challenges me. It challenges me to be better. It challenges me to show who I am, and that I deserve to be who I am.”
You would have less haters if you had more than 1-2 opponents with a good resume of their own on your record Cris.

Shocker it was a UFC lawyer and probably an under the table stack of cash that got her off. If she did nothing wrong why didn't she report using the drugs to USADA.

She cheated. 2 time drug cheat. The UFC is going to learn she isn't a draw.

Possibly she should have followed the rules with respect to obtaining a TUE and declaring the use of a banned compound. Since she did neither, once again she is crying about a problem of her own creation.

if she had disclosed what she had been using to USADA
it would have been a non-issue with the drug police

she's just a jacked chick, deal with it

You have "haters" because:

- popped for peds
-called out 135'ers when you walked around at like 175 and kill yourself just to make 145
-couldn't fight for the title that was LITERALLY created just for you because you said you need like 10 years to make weight
-complain every chance you get

"I was unfairly smeared" said the formerly convicted cheater who needed an unheard of retroactive exemption to skate this time.

She's a complete stain on this sport. Cheating, whining, overly entitled bully who has to ride the fame of others. I hope she's gone from MMA soon.

You have "haters" because:

- popped for peds
-called out 135'ers when you walked around at like 175 and kill yourself just to make 145
-couldn't fight for the title that was LITERALLY created just for you because you said you need like 10 years to make weight
-complain every chance you get

She has called out someone who has fought at 125 and was 1-3 in their UFC run at 135. She has only fought six opponents who have not competed at a lower weight class, and three of those had zero wins. And do not forget coming in overweight multiple times and scale tampering.

Reading that it sounds like USADA are more willing to help me fighters 'go through the process' than others. Seems a little fishy but oh well, at least that division has 3 fighters now.

giphy.gif

To be fair, she has brain damage and is a dude.

It always seems like the entire world is against her. That's one of the reasons she's my favorite woman-fighter (and woman beater).

P. S. I wonder what Lewis would say if she beat Ronda's fine a$$ down.

You did kinda get caught taking steroids the first time cyborg...

Honestly ive seen some before and after pictures of Cyborg and it's obvious this women heavily abused peds, androgens etc. It's very obvious to see a woman with a fit body and another to see one that has been enhanced by male hormones. Cyborg has obviously been enhanced by make hormones and was taking a drug to try to help counter act those effects. With women those effects irreversible. Even if she hasn't taken steroids in years, they have lasting effects.

The only thing that confuses me about the whole ordeal is why didn't she just disclose it to start off? Did she already know it would flag and didn't want to risk losing her fight?

Back