Ian McCall talks about how he fell ill during UFC 208, issues with his body.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“I’ve never made weight that easy in my entire career. You ask anybody, usually you stop drinking water 24 hours out from weigh-ins. I cut weight Thursday night and it was going so well that I had five glasses of ice water throughout the night. So then I figured I could eat a little bit.

So I tried to eat a little bit of salad and I threw that up. But I figured that was just the dressing or something messing my stomach up. So I had at least a cup of almonds, about five cups of water, I cut the rest in the morning and then when I was trying to gain weight back my body wouldn’t. I couldn’t hold on to anything. I kept throwing up everything...

“By the next morning, I had still only gained five pounds. Everything I tried to eat, I threw up. And I was throwing up in front of all the other fighters. Every single chance we ended up having to be in a group in public, I ended up f**king throwing up.”

But despite the fact that he was obviously very ill, McCall still intended to fight on Saturday until UFC officials told him it was off. Instead, McCall was transported to the hospital where, for a moment, it looked like he was in serious danger though it ultimately turned out alright.

“I asked them, I’m like. ‘Listen, just let me fight...’ And they looked at me like, ‘No dude, you need to go to the hospital.’ Then they were gonna do emergency gallbladder surgery which they didn’t have to do thank god. This whole thing scared the s**t out of me. When the doctor says, ‘Oh well you could die, you never know,’ I’m like, what the f**k do you mean you never know?”

As for what was actually the issue, McCall still doesn’t have any answers. He believes it may be related to the weight cut or to the illness which removed him from his UFC Fight Night 99 bout with Neil Seery but the doctors are still running tests. But at the end day, McCall says it was just his body failing him.

“[My gallbladder] was super shrunk - contracted. I guess [from the dehydration]. And then they saw shadowing and some other stuff [on the tests] and they thought I had gall stones... Then they did a more advanced version of the ultrasound and they didn’t see anything so they didn’t have to do [surgery]. So basically we’re just running tests, been running tests all week.

“I’m still skinny. I went home a day later than I was supposed to go home and I was still under 135 pounds - 132 pounds. I wasn’t able to hold food down until Tuesday. My body just f**kin’ failed me.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...ssues-at-ufc-208-my-body-just-f-kin-failed-me

Seems to be recurring for him to be missing fights.

He should consider retiring or taking a break. Health is way more important

Hopefully this will be the last of his troubles and he can finally get a fight in before June.

He needs to go for it one more time than have a break or retire... feel sorry for the dude.

Sounds like it's time to move on unfortunately. This is his... 5th fight that has been cancelled in a row? His own issues, opponent issues, you name it. And if my memory serves me correctly, he was out for a while with an injury before that.

Firas said something on the MMA Hour yesterday about one of the reasons George decided to take a break because he was getting injured so frequently around/before the Condit fight, while not really have any major injuries his whole career before then. His mind and body were so beat up from years of high level training that it started failing him too.

I don't know if any time off will help but he needs to consider his options at this point in his career.

Too bad. McCall's a classy guy, an excellent fighter, and has a world-class nickname. One of those fighters whose had more than their share of career misfortune.

His body is telling him 125 is not happening for him anymore. Move up to 135 or retire. Let's be honest, he is not going to do shit at 125 anyway. He gets walloped by the top 3 all day every day. Makes some money at 135 and then off to post fight life.

That's probably one of the things that might happen when everybody is doing these crazy weight cuts.

Just look at hendricks and lombard, without the silly weightcut, these guys were actually able to do 3 decent rounds (compared to their other fights) and their chins held up well. This is the way to go.

I hope he gets monitored during his next weight cut, including regular blood tests. There are other possibilities besides gallbladder disease, and usually regular testing will catch them, before a life-threatening situation.
Good luck, Uncle Creepy!

This day of the fight throwing up is common, it is mental and is your brain saying "let's not do this, nice and comfy back home in bed". Lots of fighters and other athletes succumb to pressure like this, getting migraines and phantom pains just prior to the event. Either power through or give up the fight game.

This day of the fight throwing up is common, it is mental and is your brain saying "let's not do this, nice and comfy back home in bed". Lots of fighters and other athletes succumb to pressure like this, getting migraines and phantom pains just prior to the event. Either power through or give up the fight game.

So he went to the hospital, didn't get cleared to fight and almost had to get surgery because of mental weakness? If you say so.

The universe is telling him not to fight. He should just retire.

So he went to the hospital, didn't get cleared to fight and almost had to get surgery because of mental weakness? If you say so.

Yes, that is what I'm saying... ANY emergency room doctor would give you a gloomy picture if you showed up prior to the fight with any symptoms, imagine if he cleared you and anything happened. He would get blamed if you were struck by lightening. Funny how it's all cleared up now?? Always turns out to be nothing serious...EVERY time!

Back