Potential world beaters who fell short in their division

Ysgramor

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
..for some reason or the other. Who do you guys have as potential champions in their respective division, granted they get another title shot in the future.

Mine would be:

HW: Cain and Doom.
LHW: Gus (Bones doesn't count as he didn't lose his title, or lost in a title eliminator fight)
MW: Moose, Silva, Still my boy, RockSalt.
WW: Karate Kid, (Maia doesn't count as per reasons above)
LW: RDA
FW: Kz
Midgets: Dom and Snake.

Demetrious Johnson. If this guy wasn't so short, people would actually care about him.

Demetrious Johnson. If this guy wasn't so short, people would actually care about him.
How stupid and insecure people are to only see height. The guy is a phenom.

It has to do with a lot of MMA fans being fighting fans as opposed to connoisseurs of mixed martial arts. They want to see power and rock-'em sock-'em, and don't appreciate finesse and technique so much. The little guys just don't bang like the bigger guys, at least there's that perception among a lot of so-called MMA fans.

Cerrone, who is one of my favorite fighters, has been "almost there" for the majority of his career.

Dennis Bermudez can beat anyone, but somehow, everyone can beat him.

Lombard. When he came over from Bellator, he had knocked everybody dead.
He never really delivered.

He hasn't failed yet, but I think Stephen Thompson would be a huge star if he managed to get that strap. I've been watching his rise for a while, and other than the Matt Brown he has been a complete stand out. But he looked very beatable against the champ, so we'll see...

I'm shocked about Pettis's fall from grace, and I was convinced JDS was gonna rule for years. Most of all though, I'd say Jon Jones. He hasn't been matched in the cage, but I remember when he was sponsored by Nike and maintained his squeaky clean facade. He one said "belief in God makes you do the right things when nobody's looking". He was on the verge of transcending the sport...becoming the Jordan of MMA, and he fucked it up

Why i read this as Potential wife beaters who fell short in their division

Jake Ellenberger. Nearly stopped Condit in his first UFC fight (lost a bs decision). Stopped Jake Shields in under a minute and beat Diego . He then hurt his knee and got stopped against Martin kampmann then went and worked with Edmond and hasn't looked the same since besides destroying Matt Brown

Yes, he's a phenom against complete nobodies and rejects from other divisions. Meanwhile, he got beaten by complete jokes like Brad Pickett when he actually fought regular sized people.

Cerrone. 'He has found his home at WW........' oh wait

I wouldn't exactly say Silva fell short, I mean he has 10 consecutive title defenses.

Cerrone. 'He has found his home at WW........' oh wait

I think Cerrone has that same thing Sonnet had. Some kind of psychological heal when it comes to being a champion. I've never seen a dude look so much like a world beater until he's got a chance to get a shot at the title.

Back