Unfortunately, GSP won't face Conor or Bisping in his return debut

HeavyHands20

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After listening to Freddie Roach and Firas Zahabi and understanding where GSPs mind is at, I don't see the timing of his return lining up with Conor or Bisping's timeline. GSP is expected to make a return in the 4th quarter of 2017, so that means October, November, or December. Theres no way the UFC is gonna hold up the middleweight belt for 7 more months, so Bisping will be forced to fight Romero. Roach is pretty much convinced by Floyd that the Mayweather/McGregor boxing match will go down, so this will eliminate Conor from fighting GSP in 2017 as well. I also believe that the UFC won't want to hold the welterweight belt up for 7 months after the Woodley/Thompson rematch.

So, with all these wheels in motion, in order for GSP to fight McGregor, Bisping, Woodley, or Thompson, something has to give. Floyd/McGregor falls through or the UFC offers some insane dollar amount for GSP/McGregor. GSP returns as early as July to either face Bisping or the WW Champ. Which option do the sherdoggers prefer?

GSP/Bisping for 185 Title?
GSP/Woodley for 170 Title?
GSP/Thompson for 170 Title?
GSP/McGregor (either catchweight or 155 Title)?

Personally, the perfect picture that would satisfy me would be
Bisping/Romero for 185 Title
GSP/Thompson for 170 Title
McGregor/Mayweather Boxing Match

Sources

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...-ufc-return-against-conor-mcgregor-or-bisping

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...vs-conor-mcgregor-looks-like-its-gonna-happen

Roach: 2:07:50 Mark
Zahabi: 2:55:15 Mark

Bisping might try to buy more time.

Roach doesn't know shit about Floyd vs Conor. He isn't a lawyer.

Only people who have any clue if it's happening are Lawyers familiar with the UFC contracts and Ali Act. Even then the outcome would completely depend on the judge.

Roach is not giving insider information, just stating his opinion.

I hope they don't make GSP sit out until the 4th quarter of this year.

That would suck!

Roach doesn't know shit about Floyd vs Conor. He isn't a lawyer.

Only people who have any clue if it's happening are Lawyers familiar with the UFC contracts and Ali Act. Even then the outcome would completely depend on the judge.

I truly believe that if Mayweather and McGregor come to agreement on terms, the UFC will sign off on it as long as they get their piece of the pie

I truly believe that if Mayweather and McGregor come to agreement on terms, the UFC will sign off on it as long as they get their piece of the pie

Zero chance Floyd will fight if the UFC wants a piece. It took 4 years for him to agree to give Manny 40% and that fight was twice as big as this fight.

If it's true GSP aint set to return til Q4, then it's too early to call his opponent. Bisping will fight Anderson, not Yoel

(((Woodley vs Wonderboy winner) vs Maia winner) vs GSP)

Why announce a return if he's not ready to go till Q4? Ain't nobody got 7 months to wait for that shit. Especially George. He's gonna be 36 soon and will have last fought 4 years ago.

Fight Lawler tomorrow.

(((Woodley vs Wonderboy winner) vs Maia winner) vs GSP)

I'm down with that. Maia either gets next title shot or GSP's first fight back so he can make the good money he deserves if he doesn't get title shot next.

Noob. GSP will never fight Wonderboy, in any lifetime. They are friends, they go way back and are training partners. Forget it!

29_20111109081046_767132_medium.jpg

Anytime GSP or Rory face a karateka, Wonderbody is on call. Of course, there is an unfortunate exception to that:
usa-today-9348414.0.jpg

Why do you think Rory lost? He didn't have Wonderboy to help him train... For Wonderboy!

i want him to fight conor. it would be beautiful.

When Floyd vs Conor turns out to be number one bullshit fight, Conor will drop the belt to avoid the winner of Khabib and Tony and take on GSP....or maybe not.

Zero chance Floyd will fight if the UFC wants a piece. It took 4 years for him to agree to give Manny 40% and that fight was twice as big as this fight.
That's where i'm seeing this. Conor is basically in the middle, not really with a lot of say in the matter cause he's the one currently bound to contract. Both the UFC, and Floyd most likely want the bigger part of the share/promotion. Both are probably unlikely to budge on it, and then I don't see it progressing much further than that.
Maybe, JUST MAYBE Conor finds some way to get the courts to enforce the ali rule in his favor somehow to allow him to take the fight. But i'm not counting on it, cause from what I read of it the language used in the Ali Act just dosen't seem to be worded to even remotely consider/cover the sport of mma.

I'm not gonna" lie, it's gonna" be hilarious to see Bisping try and maneuver around this one. If Woodley, Mcgregor or Bisping want this fight 7 months from now, it's a good incentive to have them try and fight as early as possible. Out of all three guys I think it's funny Woodley is the only guy we are sure about who is willing to fight and defend right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back