Scoring idea to replace 10-point must system (Whittaker/Romero II update)

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get rid of numerical scoring entirely. If red corner wins a round, it's scored "R". If blue corner wins a round, it's scored "B". After each round, the R or B is placed in a string. The further to the left in the string a letter is, the more dominant a round it was. Here's an example:
Round 1: Red wins. Score is R
Round 2: Blue wins, even better than R did round 1. Score is BR.
Round 3: Blue wins, most dominant round yet. Score is BBR.
Round 4: Red wins, better than Blue's round 2 but not better than Blue's round 3. Score is BRBR.
Round 5: Red wins, in a similar fashion to round 4. Score is BRRBR.

In total, there are 8 possible combinations of 3-round scores, and 32 possible combinations of 5-round scores. Now, I'll explain what these scores mean:

3-round fights
If Red wins all 3 rounds (RRR), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 3-0 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 30-27, 30-26, etc. in current system)

If Red wins 2 rounds, including the best round of the fight (RRB or RBR), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 2-1 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 29-28 or 29-27 in current system)

If Red wins the best round of the fight but Blue wins the other two, (RBB), judge discretion is used. Judge has to determine what's superior; Red's 1 strong round or Blue's 2 less strong rounds. Then, he'd score the fight in that fighter's favor.
Score could be read in 1 of 2 ways, depending on judge's decision:
"Judge X scores the fight 1-2 in favor of fighter A"
or
"Judge X scores the fight 2-1 in favor of fighter B"
(this would be the equivalent of a 29-28 or 28-28 in current system)
5-round fights
If Red wins all 5 rounds (RRRRR), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 5-0 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 50-45, 50-44, etc. in current system)

If Red wins 4 rounds (5 possible scores, from RRRRB to BRRRR), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 4-1 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 49-46 or 49-45 in current system)

If Red wins 3 rounds, including the best round of the fight (6 possible scores, from RRRBB to RBBRR), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 3-2 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 48-47 or 48-46 in current system)

If Red wins the best round of the fight PLUS the 2nd best round of the fight (RRBBB), Red wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 2-3 in favor of Fighter A"
(this would be the equivalent of a 48-47 or 47-47 in current system)

If Red wins the best round of the fight PLUS the 3rd or 4th best round of the fight (RBRBB or RBBRB), judge discretion is used. Judge has to determine what's superior; Red's 2 rounds or Blue's 3 rounds. Then, he'd score the fight in that fighter's favor.
Score could be read in 1 of 2 ways, depending on judge's decision:

"Judge X scores the fight 2-3 in favor of fighter A"
or
"Judge X scores the fight 3-2 in favor of fighter B"
(this would be the equivalent of a 48-47 or 48-46 in current system)

If Red wins the best round of the fight PLUS the 5th best round of the fight (RBBBR), Blue wins.
Score would be read as "Judge X scores the fight 3-2 in favor of Fighter B"

(this would be the equivalent of a 48-47 or 47-47 in current system)
If you've made it this far in the thread, I applaud you, and thank you for your time. Here's some potentially TLDR explanation in more spoiler tags:
I've listed Red's side of the scoring in the spoiler tags above, but the exact same rules would apply in reverse for Blue.

The outcomes of each score could be adjusted (e.g. RBBBR could go to judge discretion), but I've listed what I think would result in the most accurate results.

The purpose of this system would be to increase scoring accuracy for those really close fights. For fights with more obvious winners, my system would essentially be the exact same as the 10-point must system. But for the "RBB" or "RBBRB" fights, my scoring would be very useful. It'd remove the problem of when to score 10-8 rounds, as well as the perceived problem of there being too many draws. It'd take numbers out of the equation, meanwhile making a much more accurate scoring system. And finally, it's fairly straightforward to understand.

In the "RBB" example, the judge would be able to weigh that strong R round against the less strong B rounds, and then award the victory to the right guy. It could be that all 3 rounds were close, and thus Blue still deserves to win 29-28 (or 2-1 in my system). Or it could be that Red's round was dominant, and Blue only scraped by in his, and thus Red deserves to win (1-2 in my system). The problem with the 10-point must is that in that latest example, Blue would probably win 29-28 most of the time. At best, Red can only get a draw. And that's a serious problem.

For 5-round fights, judge discretion could be used for a number of different scores. But I feel it'd be best to have a rule in place to only allow judge discretion for the very closest of fights. And I think the "RBRBB" and "RBBRB" scores are exactly that. A good recent example of a 5-round fight that'd be well served by my system would be Woodley/Wonderboy. I'd score it RRBBB, and thus 2-3 in favor of Woodley, and I think most would agree with me. In the current system, it might be difficult to score it to Woodley even if one clearly thinks he won the fight. My system doesn't have that problem.

Disclaimer
  • You're on Sherdog. That means there's a strong possibility you're a Shertard. If you don't understand my post, consider the possibility that your Shertardedness is the reason, rather than my idea being too complicated.
  • Don't write off this idea just because it's different.
  • Don't write off this idea because you think it'd sound silly to hear Bruce Buffer say "Judge Douglas Crosby scores it RBBRR in favor of Frankie Edgar". It wouldn't be read that way.
  • Don't be a "didn't read lol" cunt.
  • Have a nice day.

24 FEB 2017 -- EDIT -- I've totally rewritten the post to make it clearer

05 MAR 2017 -- EDIT -- Post-UFC 209 edit:

Woodley should win both fights vs Wonderboy 2-3. These fights are a great example of how my system is superior to the 10-point must.

10 JUN 2018 -- EDIT -- Post-UFC 225 edit:

Romero would win using the above rules, 2-3 (BBRRR). Though I don't agree that he deserves it. So maybe judge discretion should be used for BBRRR scores.

Last edited:
82965-no-man-SHIT-no-man-gif-Office-XoJ5.gif

Nice idea OP, I disagree on several points though

If score is BBB, BBR, or BRB, blue corner wins the fight
Don't be a "didn't read lol" cunt.

If score is RRR, RRB, or RBR, red corner wins the fight
You're on Sherdog. That means there's a strong possibility you're a Shertard. If you don't understand my post, consider the possibility that your Shertardedness is the reasons, rather than my idea being too complicated.
Blue corner wins if score contains 5 or 4 "B" letters, or if it's BBBRR, BBRBR, BBRRB, BRBBR, or BRBRB.
This would fix the problem of when to score 10-8 rounds, as well as the perceived problem of there being too many draws. It'd take numbers out of the equation, meanwhile making a much more accurate scoring system.
Blue corner wins rounds 1 and 2. Score after round 2 = "BB".
If score is either RBB or BRR, judge's discretion is used to score the fight as a whole; either fighter could win.
Get rid of numerical scoring entirely. If red corner wins a round, it's scored "R". If blue corner wins a round, it's scored "B". After each round, letters are placed from left to right in accordance to how dominant the round was. Here's some examples:

Red corner wins one round and Blue corner wins the other. Red's round was more dominant. Score = "RB".
Judge's discretion is used if any of the following 10 scores are produced: RBBRR, BRRRB, BRRBR, BRBRR, BBRRR, RRBBB, RBRBB, RBBRB, RBBBR, BRRBB.
After 3 rounds, there's only 8 possible scores:
Red corner wins if score contains 5 or 4 "R" letters, or if it's RRRBB, RRBRB, RRBBR, RBRRB, or RBRBR.
Don't write off this idea just because it's different.
Same as above, except Blue's round was more dominant. Score = "BR".
Red corner wins rounds 1 and 2. Score after round 2 = "RR".
Disclaimer
Don't write off this idea because you think it'd sound silly to hear Bruce Buffer say "Judge Douglas Crosby scores it RBBRR in favor of Frankie Edgar". It doesn't have to be read that way.
Have a nice day.
5-round fights would follow the same philosophy, only there's a lot (32 to be precise) more scoring possibilities:

its an awful lot for the judges to remember. they can't seem to hold attention for 5 minutes as it is.
When it comes to the tie breakers, they have to think back to round 1 and decide if it was more dominant than round 5 ? Very hard to do subjectively.

also i just read your replies and it appears you are a sassy lil bitch so i regret being nice

Lets go to a BBQ and listen to some RNB and find some girls with some DSL that are DTF

This essentially boils down to a generic "majority win" premise with unnecessary judging criteria that would even further befuddle MMA judges that ALREADY can't seem to get things right. Interesting approach though.

Bruce buffer :
Judge 1 scores the fight BBRBR for woodley
Judge 2 scores the fight RRRBB for wonderboy
and judge C scores the fight BRBRB for a total of BRBRBRBRBRBBBBRVBRB"

so no point deductions? automatic round win if a deduction happens?

its an awful lot for the judges to remember. they can't seem to hold attention for 5 minutes as it is.
When it comes to the tie breakers, they have to think back to round 1 and decide if it was more dominant than round 5 ? Very hard to do subjectively.

also i just read your replies and it appears you are a sassy lil bitch so i regret being nice
I've only responded in kind. I've only been sassy to the sassy ones. They deserve the sass

The point you make is the obvious problem with the system. I personally think it's less of a problem than rounds not being weighed correctly in the current system though.

Back