Hendricks and Single Legs

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I think I watched Hendricks wrestle...well I think in 2005, or something, and then I really thought to myself wow this guy would be a beast if he tried his hands on MMA, then I was pretty excited to hear him transitioning into MMA, though I don't think there was all that much hype around him, I guess partly because there are lots of wrestlers coming into MMA and all, and some people aren't all that excited having more wrestlers perhaps because they want the stand up action a lot more than two guys on the ground together.

Well, I thought he lost against Koscheck, and I thought he was the worst match up for GSP's career and felt that that would be career defining fight for GSP, because unlike Hughes, perhaps it might have more significance because of who Hughes was a champion at the time that GSP beat him after suffering loss in the first title match especially more so, Hendricks had better wrestling credentials than Hughes, and a lot better stand up skills. And though I thought GSP lost that fight, though I haven't reviewed it like some did, because I didn't even think it was close enough for a review before hearing people talk about it, I really thought that showed a true champion in GSP, overcoming adversity and fighting back enough to win a decision, unlike Anderson Silva, who I felt the same way about Weidman, then ended up getting knocked the fuck out in the humiliating fashion fighting a guy coming off a lay off longer than a year after intentional ducking.

Anyways, I suppose you could go on and analyze a fighter a lot more various ways, but I just am not sure why Hendricks never go for that single leg, I thought he had amazing single leg under John Smith, kinda like how you see high level wrestlers like King Mo or Cormier go for them, and I'd go out on a limb and say that Hendricks probably has better single legs than those two.

USADA beat the single leg right out of his repertoire.

He shoots like he eats burgers. Why go for the single while you can go for the double?

Johnnys defensive wrestling looked amazing in the Lombard fight. His wrestling came in handy. But yeah a bit more offensive wrestling would be nice.

Last leg Johny shot for

mutton-leg-500x500.jpg

I think I watched Hendricks wrestle...well I think in 2005, or something, and then I really thought to myself wow this guy would be a beast if he tried his hands on MMA, then I was pretty excited to hear him transitioning into MMA, though I don't think there was all that much hype around him, I guess partly because there are lots of wrestlers coming into MMA and all, and some people aren't all that excited having more wrestlers perhaps because they want the stand up action a lot more than two guys on the ground together.

Well, I thought he lost against Koscheck, and I thought he was the worst match up for GSP's career and felt that that would be career defining fight for GSP, because unlike Hughes, perhaps it might have more significance because of who Hughes was a champion at the time that GSP beat him after suffering loss in the first title match especially more so, Hendricks had better wrestling credentials than Hughes, and a lot better stand up skills. And though I thought GSP lost that fight, though I haven't reviewed it like some did, because I didn't even think it was close enough for a review before hearing people talk about it, I really thought that showed a true champion in GSP, overcoming adversity and fighting back enough to win a decision, unlike Anderson Silva, who I felt the same way about Weidman, then ended up getting knocked the fuck out in the humiliating fashion fighting a guy coming off a lay off longer than a year after intentional ducking.

Anyways, I suppose you could go on and analyze a fighter a lot more various ways, but I just am not sure why Hendricks never go for that single leg, I thought he had amazing single leg under John Smith, kinda like how you see high level wrestlers like King Mo or Cormier go for them, and I'd go out on a limb and say that Hendricks probably has better single legs than those two.

In the lombard fight I believe he was just trying to pick up a W and not get tired. Lombards takedown defense is pretty solid,so Hendricks played it safe and didn't try to gas him self out by constantly going for the take down. Lombard is also quite hard to keep down,and Hendricks isn't super tough on top,likely he would expend lots of energy and lombard would either get up and out or the ref would stand them up.

D.C uses the single much in the same vein as Couture did,he sets it up with pressure against the fence and essentially turns it into a high crotch. Hendricks just gets sprawled out on and damn near flattened out hanging on a leg..as seen in the second Lawler fight. I think he has the ability and tack to land a decent single but his lack of top pressure,submission threats,and lack of fight ending GnP having me wondering what good is a takedown anyway if he's not much of a threat once there??

I'm not sure what kind of success J.H will have at this new weight class. If he's to enjoy any he's gotta come in phenomenal shape and mix in takedowns with his stand up The USADA question is always there too,his body and performance sure have suffered since the inception of the program. Maybe it's also a factor of age,injuries,lack of focus,etc? I grew up wrestling and the amount of guys i know who are banged up hot messes in their early 30's is staggering. That's a big factor in the J.H equation as well. He's been competing at a high level,against the toughest guys in the country since he was in high school. How much is left in the tank you know?

The positive thing for hendricks is he looked healthy,his reaction time looked much improved,and he says he's healthy and excited to be fighting. Time will tell of course, He better not rest on his laurels though. The 185lb division is no joke,most of those guys are 6ft or taller and walk around at 215+ lbs out of camp. As a an wrestler and fan i hope J.H can pull out a few more big wins before calling it a career

i was fallin asleep a bit during the fight but i thought hector won the first 2. i do remember jonny kneeing him a bunch though so maybe im off

I assumed he wanted to avoid scrambles with Hector for the sake of energy conservation.

i was fallin asleep a bit during the fight but i thought hector won the first 2. i do remember jonny kneeing him a bunch though so maybe im off

I also saw Lombard winning two rounds but the 2nd one was close

Back