Now that Kyoji Horriguchi (8-1 UFC record) has been forced out...

JackG1979

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Now that Kyoji Horriguchi 8-1 in the UFC....has fought out his contract, and been offered such a low-ball offer that he was forced out (Effectively CUT from the UFC) that is ANOTHER exciting fighter lost to the WME era.

Lorenz Larkin, Ryan Bader, Rory, Kyoji.... How many more great fighters need to go before they stop this?!?!?
I honestly feel it's a shame to lose such a great fighter in what appears to be the peak of his career....

I know that they are trying to save some loot, but better to use those fighters on cards and make the money than to cut the fighter, and have no chance to make money off them any longer. This is starting to look like (Dare i said BAD business)... but def. DIFFERENT business than how the UFC operated in the past... when they Grew into such successful business model.

Do you guys think that WME is doing it right or do you think that they need to stick with what made the UFC brand so successful to begin with?

They're cost cutting.

Why pay larkin 100k when you can pay 5 cans combined 100k? They're basically throwing away quality fighters/cards hoping views/ppv buys wont change at all when they have shit cards.

I hope it massively backfires on them and i also hope it strengthens overall mma. They're alienating their hardcore fanbase imo and its gonna bite them in the ass

Last edited:
The UFC deserves to get beatdown from this. And they will, it'll happen.

WME thinks the sport is fueled on casuals, but its not. Hardcores keep it alive and casuals inject cash every now and then with the Conors, Rouseys and Lesnars of the world. And the hardcore fans are not amused with letting go top talent.

Without the hardcore base, UFC won't have anything to stand on. What will you do when your stars walk away/get injured/think they are bigger than the company and refuse to fight?

You are ditching talent for no reason. Not a good message to send to other fighters as well. The balance of sport and entertainment is continuously moving towards the entertainment side.

I don't agree with what they're doing

I'm not sure if it's gonna hurt them or not.

They do have a huge roster and maybe they're making room for new up and comers and guys that are more exciting

Gavin tucker from last night is a good example.

If they keep bringing new guys like him in then ya wme keep on keeping on cause I like it

Shogun has lost 7 of his last 13 ($270k)
Machida has lost 7 of his last 13 ($200k)

Ya big names great fighters but I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing these old timers with the fat contracts gone

For the same price as those 2 guy we can pick up 20 new guys that are 8-0

Is it right who knows only time will tell.

Its a disgrace. UFC will go down eventually and I dont even care.

It's not their fault nobody wants to pay to watch Horiguchi fight.

They are going to downsize the amount of events, thin out the roster, only keep the fighters they feel will be an asset to the company.

I don't like the fighters getting put out of work, but they will find fights outside the ufc.

The idea here by ufc management is reasonable. We will get more stacked cards as a result of the roster being thinned and less events.

The amount of events has become over saturated.

One of the best Flyweights in the world is gone, but Jessica Eye is still signed to the promotion. UFC is purely for entertainment purposes. It's not a real sports organization.

I don't think it's to do with Horoguchi individually, I think they're looking to can the FW division due to the poor ratings it gets.

& for all the 'ermigherd how could they do this UFC is dying hardcore fans HATE them' , FW is probably the most hated on division here, too.

Easy to complain when it's not your money. You don't know the costs of running the company and keeping all those contracts.

Plus if a fighter asks for too much which they ALL WILL you can't let them inflate their worth because it'll get way out of hand. I don't want the top guys leaving either but if they are being unrealistic and greedy then they need to go somewhere else and realize their true $ value.

Shame... they should have at least given him another shot at Demetrious Johnson.
UFC is trying to get to the Asian market but cuts one of the best flyweights..
Good thing for Rizin though !

They're cost cutting.

Why pay larkin 100k when you can pay 5 cans combined 100k if they all win? They're basically throwing away quality fighters/cards hoping views/ppv buys wont change at all when they have shit cards.

I hope it massively backfires on them and i also hope it strengthens overall mma. They're alienating their hardcore fanbase imo and its gonna bite them in the ass

Sooner or later it will bite them. I agree. Good post bro.

Horiguchi was just about the only interesting fight left for Mighty Mouse. Mighty Mouse has beaten everyone and the only interesting fights left in that division are rematches. Horiguchi topped the list, I'd put Cejudo second if he can get a few wins together. I don't think anyone cares about seeing Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez again. Flyweight is fucked more than ever.

The division will likely be killed off within a year and yet we'll still have Women's Featherweight. Everyone who wanted to see the Flyweight division cut will now have to live with the fact that time and money previously spent on the Flyweights will be spent on a division with four fighters, one a huge USADA liability, and the rest of the division made up of Charmaine Tweets.

That's going to be the trade off. One division in, one division out.

They are going to downsize the amount of events, thin out the roster, only keep the fighters they feel will be an asset to the company.

I don't like the fighters getting put out of work, but they will find fights outside the ufc.

The idea here by ufc management is reasonable. We will get more stacked cards as a result of the roster being thinned and less events.

The amount of events has become over saturated.

There are fighters like Artem Lobov 13-12-1 headlining cards, fighters like Jarrod Cannonier who works full time at the airport and is 9-1 at 32 fighting on PPVs vs top 10 guys, they're making new women's division every week. It makes no sense to cut elite talent when you want to thin a roster for more stacked cards? Cut the Shoguns and Machidas who make 200-300k a fight because they are old with no upside, don't cut Rory fucking MacDonald though.

Also, PPV is a North American business, Anderson Silva is hardly nor has he ever been a PPV draw that doesn't mean he isn't a valuable asset to the UFC. Same can be said for Horiguchi, he's Japan's best fighter, he's the Flyweights best knockout artist. Lorenz Larkin is a top 10 Welterweight with wins over 3 current top 10 UFC Welterweights (Masvidal, Lawler, Many), he's exciting and supremely skilled.

Fighters have worth beyond if they are a pay per view draw or not, if theyre paying Sage Norrthcutt 100k whilst letting go of fighters like Cirkunov because he wants too much money, you should be apalled. The UFC has a history of paying their fighters significantly less than their fair share. Which you should also be apalled at, a lot of fighters lose money fighting in the UFC and work full time jobs.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Do we really need the 25th season of TUF? Do we really need all these Paige Van Zant Commercials? Or do we need an international sport, do we need to keep elite talent? When we go to new countries do we need to keep putting on shit regional level shows or can we put on skillfull cards?

This has become a joke, it's time wake up. We need to value other markets and fighters skills a lot more.

We'll probably be seeing many more fighters entering free agency status, and opting not to resign. The UFC may not have any viable competitors but they're doing a good job of making other promotions look like decent alternatives.

Now that Kyoji Horriguchi 8-1 in the UFC....has fought out his contract, and been offered such a low-ball offer that he was forced out (Effectively CUT from the UFC) that is ANOTHER exciting fighter lost to the WME era.

Lorenz Larkin, Ryan Bader, Rory, Kyoji.... How many more great fighters need to go before they stop this?!?!?
I honestly feel it's a shame to lose such a great fighter in what appears to be the peak of his career....

I know that they are trying to save some loot, but better to use those fighters on cards and make the money than to cut the fighter, and have no chance to make money off them any longer. This is starting to look like (Dare i said BAD business)... but def. DIFFERENT business than how the UFC operated in the past... when they Grew into such successful business model.

Do you guys think that WME is doing it right or do you think that they need to stick with what made the UFC brand so successful to begin with?

Have a look at the guys that have been cut and left cause they got better deals. And then also have a look at the 20+ fighters they just signed this year. There are some great prospects that have been signed. And they signed Dave Branch back.

They're are doing business th same way as before.

Yeah, everyone is outraged, but then everyone (almost) want GSP back.

If you want a circus, you'll get a circus.

Back