Do you think former fighters could referee?

Bluntforce420

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know the refs are employed by the athletic commissions, and i think we would all agree the referees have been suspect lately. What would sherdog think about former fighters doing it? I wouldnt mind seeing guys like Stann, Florian, Kennedy and some others do it

herb-dean-ufc-162.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

002_Frank_Trigg.0.jpg

That's Frank Trigg. He reffed last night.

Big John would easily be top10 HW even today.

20141021010509_IMG_8504.JPG
470271930.jpg
60272.jpg
ii.0.0.jpg

Shaolin is becoming a good ref, and Goddard is amongst the top 5 refs IMO

Glad to see a few guys doing it. I think its a good thing and hopefully a trend

What we need is more fighters/coaches as judges.

Sounds fair, I'd like the judges to be ex-fighters.

Judges seriously need to be in the back, with monitors and quiet. There is no fucking way you can concentrate with the crowd.

It's ridiculous they are ringside.

I meant someone with fighting experience, not someone with 5 fights
That is fighting experience and we don't know how many ammy fights he may have. You can't have them with 40 fights under their belt and still be a good referee if that's what you're thinking. Their brain has to be sharp to make quick decisions and still have reflexes. If their brain is turned to mush from head trauma, they won't make good refs now will they?

That is fighting experience and we don't know how many ammy fights he may have. You can't have them with 40 fights under their belt and still be a good referee if that's what you're thinking. Their brain has to be sharp to make quick decisions and still have reflexes. If their brain is turned to mush from head trauma, they won't make good refs now will they?

Thats why i mentioned a few examples, because those three still have brain cells

Im not lobbying for Mayhem Miller or Chris Leben to get in there

Back