Why did the ufc let Rory MacDonald walk?

tbird05

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I don't even understand how it makes business sense.

GSP the Canadian superstar retires. Rory is 27 with outstanding credentials. Coming off 2 lossses to championship fighters.

How did the ufc not promote him as the rising star in Canada.

It almost seems like something petty went on behind the scenes

He wanted more than they wanted to pay
Bellator was willing to pay

Hard to negotiate a good long term deal coming off two losses

I was sad to see him go. He wasn't the most marketable, even here in Canada. Great fighter, though.

not really that exciting

Don't claim that you have the best fighters in the world and then let a fighter like Rory Mac walk.

I don't even understand how it makes business sense.

GSP the Canadian superstar retires. Rory is 27 with outstanding credentials. Coming off 2 lossses to championship fighters.

How did the ufc not promote him as the rising star in Canada.

It almost seems like something petty went on behind the scenes

I was sad to see him go. He wasn't the most marketable, even here in Canada. Great fighter, though.

I still don't see it. As a casual American I found him to be a quirky fighter with his 1000 yard stare. The ufc PR machine could have definitely could have pushed him as the next best thing after GSP left

Rumors I heard is that UFC only likes Burger King (for example, AS was sponsored by them, etc).

It's just sick. He's still entering his prime at age 27, right?

I still don't see it. As a casual American I found him to be a quirky fighter with his 1000 yard stare. The ufc PR machine could have definitely could have pushed him as the next best thing after GSP left
When he first came on the scene he had a lot of fans here, but the more popular he became it seemed the less people liked him. Where I'm from it seemed like more people were excited about Jordan Mein in Strikeforce and UFC.

He'll win at least one championship and then return to the UFC.

dana-white-money-cópia.jpg

"Rory was never any good" Dana white
" Rory was a UFC reject" sherbros

Well, weren't you all expecting Bendo to get the Bellator belt and make the UFC beg for forgiveness in order to sign him again?

I think the UFC thinks he's broken. The fight with Robbie Lawler did some permanent damage to both of them...and then he looked a little flat against Thompson.

Whether that's true or not, we'll find out. But he did start young and has a lot of wear and tear on himself for his age.

Well, weren't you all expecting Bendo to get the Bellator belt and make the UFC beg for forgiveness in order to sign him again?

Rory is way younger with wins over the champ (Woodley) and uncrowded champ (lol, Maia).

He's a huge pickup. I'll tune in for the cards he's on.

he wanted what he was actually worth. ufc didnt like that because they realized he probably wont get the 170 strap and didnt want to give him the 1-200 k he probably worth just to beat up contenders but drop the big one.

or dana lost out on bets thinking rory was the future and got mad

I like Rory and not because he's Canadian but truth be told he has the personalty of a butter knife.

Back