Kimbo Slice appreciation thread

LiLoMMA

Lindsay Lohan's party belt
@Black
Reaction score
On a personal level, this is how I got back into MMA. I recorded UFC 1-5, lost track of it and caught back on in 2008 when Kimbo was on the cover of ESPN magazine.
This isn't about me at all tho, just for people to share fond memories of Kimbo, who had more fun fights than not and brought something to the game which was sorely needed. If I had to describe it in a word, it would be "charisma".
I don't think it matters that he wasn't one of the greatest martial artists ever, the dude was a fun show to watch and that means something.
IMG_2990.JPG
RIP and thanks for the memories

Apart from the Houston Alexander fight, he was pretty fun to watch

Love him or hate him, dude was always in memorable fights..for one reason or another.

He mastered the psychic punch too.

giphy.gif

I liked him but he was never going to amount to much.

Certainly enjoyed his 'Houston, you're gonna have a problem' line.

RIP Kimbo. I no longer feel sorry for Brett Rogers now, knowing what I know.

RIP Kimbo. The HW TUF season he featured in was fun to watch.

Almost always exciting and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

tumblr_n8olqsiDPT1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Dan Le Batard writes, "Kimbo and MMA's stories are exactly the same. Up from the gutter. Secretly popular. Misunderstood. Violent, Criticized. Dangerous. Fun. Cool. Bloody. Viral. And now, finally, mainstream."

To me, Kimbo Slice was Mixed Marital Arts. I am forever grateful that we had a chance to witness someone do something with his life the way that he did, I am grateful that he contributed to mixed martial arts the way that he did, grateful for the opportunities to watch his fights, whether they were good fights or not, and I'm glad that the community had a chance to learn who he was, what made him tick, and why he was so special. Thank you for everything Kimbo Slice, I know I speak for many of the MMA community when I say: we will miss you very much.

He was fun to have around. It was also interesting seeing people legitimately believe he could be UFC champ because he beat Afro Puff.

Love him or hate him, dude was always in memorable fights..for one reason or another.

He mastered the psychic punch too.

giphy.gif
I've rewatched that fight like 7 times for some reason. It gets better/(worse) every time. I stopped rewatching it once Kimbo passed since it's now depressing. Still a spectacle worth seeing at least once

Kimbo Slice rose from the streets to become one of the most iconic names in all of fighting at one point, there were so many non mma fans who would tune in just for the purpose of seeing Kimbo fight. He definitely brought more fans into the sport and in doing so helped it grow.

Kimbo might not have been the most technically sound mixed martial artist as he got in the game late, but there was no questioning the man's heart, he was the definition of a fighter and he is most definitely missed.

R.I.P Big Ferg

He was fun to have around. It was also interesting seeing people legitimately believe he could be UFC champ because he beat Afro Puff.
I came on the forums in 2008 to discuss just this and literally saw nobody else who thought that, I think you may be mistaken for once

Thanks for sharing that Floridian heat with the world, Ferg. Seemed like a nice enough dude too, all things being equal.

I came on the forums in 2008 to discuss just this and literally saw nobody else who thought that, I think you may be mistaken for once

I ran into that more in real life than on the internet. People who didn't follow or barely followed MMA (and in a couple instances people that regularly bought UFC PPVs) were loading up Kimbo vs The Bouncer and saying with a straight face that he would walk into the UFC as a top ten fighter and possibly #1. They wouldn't listen at all if I said that Kimbo was only boxing in his street fights.

Thanks for sharing that Floridian heat with the world, Ferg. Seemed like a nice enough dude too, all things being equal.
Definitely not a bad dude. He wasn't a genius but never pretended to be. When it was time to fight he fucking fought tho. Mad hespect on my end

I ran into that more in real life than on the internet. People who didn't follow or barely followed MMA (and in a couple instances people that regularly bought UFC PPVs) were loading up Kimbo vs The Bouncer and saying with a straight face that he would walk into the UFC as a top ten fighter and possibly #1. They wouldn't listen at all if I said that Kimbo was only boxing in his street fights.
Ah, yes, I have seen that in popular culture, just never in this forum. Fair enough

Ah, yes, I have seen that in popular culture, just never in this forum. Fair enough

I liked Kimbo. He won me over in that fight with Sean Gannon that he lost. He kept getting up like Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai.

I liked Kimbo. He won me over in that fight with Sean Gannon that he lost. He kept getting up like Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai.
For sure. That isn't skilled high level fighting, but it's worth watching for some reason.

Why do you guys say rip? Is kimbo dead?! Omg! Some1 tell me what happend to him.hes one of my favorite fighters!

Back