How would Fedor's intermediate level opponents do in todays heavyweight division?

Tranaas

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm thinking of guys like Heath Herring, Semmy Schilt, Brett Rogers, Choi man (provided weight was allowed) and Fujita. Would any of these guys be top 5 and have a chance at the title?

Probably around the same-ish since the only difference between today's and yesterday's HW division is like, Stipe and Junior.

none are top 5, or even close, although a big hitter like Rogers could take a top fiver out on a lucky night.

Herring is the best of that list, I think he is a tough out for anyone in todays game, or yesterdays.

Fujita was a punching bag, made of granite, but no real offensive threat. I think Fedor is the only good fighter he hurt, aside from breaking hands on his head.

Rogers mostly sucks, but is big, athletic and hits hard.

Schilt was a beauty. Great combat fighter, tough as nails.... its just the wrestling that would always hold him back. I consider him a rich man's Steven Struve, for what thats worth.

Choi. I dont know. I cant see him being easy for anyone, but, just not enough info.

Depending on matchups, if those guys were prime and in the UFC right now, Herring and Schilt would wander in and out of the top ten, I figure.

Choi would do well... He beat Jose Canseco, who is an A level athlete.

Well Struve ktfo the current HW champ. A guy like prime Schilt would be a force. Herring would camp out in the top 10, the rest probably not

None of those guys had the skills, but if we are talking about potential, Semmy Schilt with takedown defense is a scary thought.

Jared Rosholt would have steamrolled every name you just mentioned

Don't think any could be top5 except for maybe semmy.

Brock Lesnar kills all of them in the same night.

Schilt was a beastly striker and decent on the ground, wrestling isn't that prevalent at HW these days so he could do some damage.

None of those guys had the skills, but if we are talking about potential, Semmy Schilt with takedown defense is a scary thought.
Would have been a long-reigning champ I think; but Schilt's build just isn't for takedown defense. What makes him great at striking makes him pretty poor at grappling.

They could all compete but I don't see any champions in there
(This assumes they are all in their primes)

All would struggle to be top 15

All would struggle? No way. I think you're over valueing who is in the HW division. You're saying Heath Herring, Semmy Schilt, Brett Rogers wouldn't be in the 10-15 rankings pretty easy? Come on....Arlovski is #10 and old as fuck.

10 Andrei Arlovski 25-14-0
11 Stefan Struve 32-8-0
12 Alexander Volkov 27-6-0
13 Daniel Omielanczuk 19-6-1
14 Aleksei Oleinik 51-10-1
15 Tim Johnson 10-3-0

Would have been a long-reigning champ I think; but Schilt's build just isn't for takedown defense. What makes him great at striking makes him pretty poor at grappling.
Yeah i agree, he is too tall, and unusually tall people have weird balance, like they are on stilts.

hong-man-choi.jpg

7"2" Hong Man Choi vs Conner Mctapper

I would pay money for that. Lots of money hahaha. To tell you the truth i love freak matchups. Can you imagine if UFC did a Open weight grand prix that would be the most exciting fights ever. Mighty Mouse vs Francis Ngannou anyone... hahahahaha.

Herring looked pretty good against Amir considering he looked like he rolled off the coach and Amir's considered a roided prospect. Prime Herring could be top 15 imo, the HW is not that different from where it was then.

Fujita not sure, he was tough and strong, decent wrestling and big power I'm sure he could beat a lot of the heavyweights of today.

Don't even think Choi was 265 when he looked like he had contracted AIDS, weird name to list.

Rogers did beat AA and looked Lewis-esque before he fought Reem, the Rogers that beat the shit out of JT, blasted AA and gave Fedor his toughest fight of his career at that point, probably collects wins long enough to stay around.

Back