What would it have taken for Florian to be a UFC Champion?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe if BJ Penn stayed in Japan instead of coming back to the UFC, Kenny could of eventually won the LW belt. And he was obviously never going to win the title at 145/170 because Aldo and GSP were just way too dominant at the time.

It's hard to say, really. I've always classified him as a guy with very little natural talent that took himself as far as he could have with hard work and solid technical mastery. He just ran into guys that were more naturally talented than he was, that his technical abilities just couldn't overcome. It's a shame he had to retire so young.

"Kenny Florian is the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"
-Kenny "Goldie" Florian

I think he could have beaten bj with a REAL game plan

Everyone at the top has a weapon that can turn the tide in a fight. Florian lacked it. He'd sub journeymen any day of the week, but when his BJJ failed he just tried to outpoint people. That's not enough unless you're built like GSP.

I think he could have beaten bj with a REAL game plan

That's just absurd.

What was he gonna do? Outgrapple a better grappler? Out strike a better striker? Outmaneuver a better athlete???

BJ Penn in his prime was a beast everywhere.

KenFlo did his best to STALL the fight and survive to the championship rounds.

UFC101Penn-Florian-3.gif~c200

Kenny looked great in ever fight till his title fights. They gave him the bisping route to a title shot... Just he actually made it

Even Sherk did t do much to Kenny. He only held him down. I'd say florian was busier off his back.

Winning a title fight.

But he wrestling defense was just too poor

Better wrestling, better camp, and not being mentally defeated in big fights. He always choked in the major ones from what I saw. His issue seemed to be more mental than physical

It would have taken a freak injury to Penn or Aldo during their fights. Like Cote's in his fight with Anderson.

Kenny looked great in ever fight till his title fights. They gave him the bisping route to a title shot... Just he actually made it

He was like Cerrone in that the champs he fought were just better than him.

It would have taken him being a better fighter.

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.” - Kenny Florian

A win in a championship fight?

Back