Fedor at the Height of his Greatness

YukisHeart

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Pride's greatest is fighting tonight. He's forty, outweighed by over twenty pounds and, sadly, looks like he lost something during his three years away from the sport – but this thread isn't about that.

The video above is, in my opinion, the best career highlight reel for the GOAT which has ever been made, released just before his ten-year unbeaten streak was brought to an end by Fabricio Werdum, who would go on to break down Cain Velasquez for the UFC heavyweight belt.

There's not really anyone out there who fights like Fedor now. He wasn't ever really a standout at anything in particular, with loose stand-up (but great handspeed and good accuracy) and a far from technical ground game – but he had unrivalled composure, fearless aggression, and transitioned between striking and grappling better than anyone.

He also never really shot for takedowns, being a judo practitioner (who only switched to sambo when his judo career went south). He was all about trips and throws, giving him a fluid style. You didn't see him tied up along the ropes and dirty boxing very often.

Fighters today are different. They circle and feel each other out a lot more, and their striking and grappling games are often pretty disjointed.

Fedor was a man ahead of his time, and I think it'll be a while before we see another heavyweight as rounded and aggressive. We might never see a guy under 6 foot and 240 lbs getting after it at a high level again.

So do take a sec to look back and appreciate the career that defined an era, whatever happens tonight in The Other Promotion™.

Last edited:
There's a WW forum specifically so we don't have to listen to you guys circlejerk about Fedor guys.

Jesus-Christ.gif

UFC Discussion...

Pride media/footage is owned by the UFC... so the argument could be made that anything about Pride does, indeed, belong in the UFC discussion board.

Pride's greatest is fighting tonight. He's forty, outweighed by over twenty pounds and, sadly, looks like he lost something during his three years away from the sport – but this thread isn't about that.

The video above is, in my opinion, the best career highlight reel for the GOAT which has ever been made, released just before his ten-year unbeaten streak was brought to an end by Fabricio Werdum, who would go on to break down Cain Velasquez for the UFC heavyweight belt.

There's not really anyone out there who fights like Fedor now. He wasn't ever really a standout at anything in particular, with loose stand-up and a far from technical ground game – but he had unrivalled composure, fearless aggression, and transitioned between striking and grappling better than anyone.

He also never really shot for takedowns, being a judo stylist (who only switched to sambo when his judo career went south). He was all about trips and throws, giving him a fluid style. You didn't see him tied up along the ropes and dirty boxing very often.

Fighters today are different. They circle and feel each other out a lot more, and their striking and grappling games are often pretty disjointed.

Fedor was a man ahead of his time, and I think it'll be a while before we see another heavyweight as rounded and aggressive. We might never see a guy under 6 foot and 240 lbs getting after it at a high level again.

So do take a sec to look back and appreciate the career that defined an era, whatever happens tonight in The Other Promotion™.
6KipS.gif

Look, Fedor was a very good fighter for his time.

GOAT? Get outta here. Top 10 All Time? Meh, debatable.

Look, Fedor was a very good fighter for his time.

GOAT? Get outta here. Top 10 All Time? Meh, debatable.
Let's see Jones or who do you think it's GOAT beat a 5 lbs heavier or 5 cm bigger fighter than him then :rolleyes: Gus smashed roided Jones (his own size not mw midget). Fedor dominated bigger and heavier HWs on TRT, anabolics, amphetamines etc.

Let's see Jones or who do you think it's GOAT beat a 5 lbs heavier or 5 cm bigger fighter than him then :rolleyes: Gus smashed roided Jones (his own size not mw midget). Fedor dominated bigger and heavier HWs on TRT, anabolics, amphetamines etc.

Anderson Silva whooped a former LHW champ.

And got embarrassed by Shale (in his prime)

Is that the fight where Anderson had a busted rib, Chael was roided to the gills, and Anderson still won in a memorable fashion? I forget, please remind me :)

Is that the fight where Anderson had a busted rib, Chael was roided to the gills, and Anderson still won in a memorable fashion? I forget, please remind me :)
Only Chael was roided? HAHAHAHAHAHA
68b7ff20db3adbea5e10533987bfaa54

Only Chael was roided? HAHAHAHAHAHA

??
Anderson's status as non-roider has only been called into question once - against Nick Diaz when he popped. And that fight ended up being a no-contest.

Not the Chael fights.

Also LOL that a Fedor fan would care about steroids... Fedor was a roider, just like 99% of Pride. And guess what happened when Fedor entered regulated MMA competition? Got his ass beat 3x in a row.

Fedor with his ice-cold-no-emotional-killing-face.You can't read nothing from his eyes.,doesn't talk zero or nothing.Fckin' beast

Back