Why Didn't Chael Sonnen train with Paulson or Hume to remediate his submission weakness?

Savant21

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Title says it all. I know Chael has always had a tendency of giving up whenever the fight isn't going his way (which is why he saw a sports psychologist) and Chael does have a few submission victories himself, however I've always wondered why he continued to stick with Team Quest & Matt Lindland & not take a page outta people like Josh Barnett, Jeff Monson & Dennis Hallman books & learn CACC wrestling from submission experts like Paulson & Hume. All three of those guys wrestled in HS (while Hallman & Monson were collegiate wrestlers) & despite Monson having a BJJ black-belt, he's trained with Hume & Paulson fairly extensively (from what I remember).

If you look at those guy's fighting styles, they never abandoned their wrestling, they just added the submission aspect to it. The thing with Chael is, he doesn't have power in his hands so he's not much of a threat standing & his GnP isn't extremely damaging either. Plus trying to grind out a decision in a fight isn't a guarantee that one will become a champion (despite their being a few champions who won mostly via decision). I just feel that a fighter either has to have some skill that enables them to finish their opponent in order for them to win a championship.

I do recall Chael training with Billy Robinson a bit before the first Silva fight, however I honestly believe (despite being friends with Lindland & all the other TQ guys) if he would've started training with either Erik Paulson or Matt Hume around the time after his first UFC stint (despite being mentally weak from a fighting perspective) he would've been more dangerous on the ground & not have so many submission losses.

I assume because he lives in Oregon and he is not willing to move. That being said, he has been basically training bjj since he initially retired.

The problem with the Tito fight was that he gave up what he does best (top position + ground and pound) and tried to submit when he is not an expert.

Did you see his 40+ year old, non gear Dad bod and 3 year layoff? Did you see Tito Ortiz body builder physique and a 5 and 1 recent record?

That's what happened.

Really a shame a LOT of high level wrestlers take BJJ when crossing over to MMA when it would seem CACC is the best system for them...

I don't think it's just a technique thing. It seems to be more of a mental block for him.

Should have trained with maia but then he started to attack all the Brazilian fighters

But maia did rip him about his weakness in bjj and offered to teach him to defend and conor said if he's serious he'd take the offer

Maia sub on sonnen was amazing
Haha @Tules
Haha @Homeless Infant

Should have trained with maia but then he started to attack all the Brazilian fighters

But maia did rip him about his weakness in bjj and offered to teach him to defend and conor said if he's serious he'd take the offer

Haha @Tules
Haha @Homeless Infant

@Drake ban

If I were to rank trainers from A to Z, there's no doubt in my mind that Matt Hume would be at #1. A former fighter who is cerebral and breaks down tape to nausea.If you're lazy by nature, not gonna work if you're willing to put in the time----it'll be worth your while.
Most people familiar with my posting know that I'm a huge mousasi supporter.I wish a marriage would be made between the 2 cause not only do I think Gegard would be champ but he'd have a healthy tenure as champ........and they're no strangers to each other (DREAM)

in 1 interview he said during his 2 year suspension he'd been doin nothing but bjj

Even fighters known for their BJJ can suck if they are on their back. Look at Reem and how he got finished immediately by Miocic. Or Weidman and how awful he has looked on his back.

Because Chael was a money fight guy. He wanted to get paid not be the world's best martial artist.

... I've always wondered why he continued to stick with Team Quest & Matt Lindland....

,,,,I honestly believe (despite being friends with Lindland & all the other TQ guys) if he would've started training with either Erik Paulson or Matt Hume around the time after his first UFC stint (despite being mentally weak from a fighting perspective) he would've been more dangerous on the ground & not have so many submission losses.

Chael has always been Lindland's bitch. Lindland was his wrestling coach since he was 17. Chael had always been sheltered as fuck, right until he moved with Brittany. His dad went to his wrestling practice every day. Even in College. The full four years . When he organized his hamfisted property fraud schemes, his partner in crime was his mom Claudia. When his dad died in 2002, Matt became the father's figure.

No wonder why he obeyed Matt even when Matt prohibited him to train with his best friend Nate Quarry after Nate was banned from/left TQ, and why he stuck with TQ until its final implosion.

We saw an aged fighter who fought all his career using PEDs, returning to fight an ex light heavyweight UFC champion with winning streak, who actually is legit legend of the sport.

Chael is too loyal to his coaches and old school ways, which seem to have become out dated.

I listen to his podcast and he says things sometimes that make me scratch my head. I don't think having Ed Herman as your toughest training partner is going to manifest in good results vs good competition. But he's 40 now and has a beautiful family, he won't leave Oregon and I bet bringing in Vinny as a coach or someone like him isn't cheap.

Haha @Tules
Haha @Homeless Infant

wanderlei-sonnen-brawl-tuf.gif

In fuckin' sandals, mate.

wanderlei-sonnen-brawl-tuf.gif

In fuckin' sandals, mate.
Sandals?
So what

When this fight happens
And wand absolutely annihilates chael in the first
I'll give you 30 minutes to apologise