Does Chael Sonnen's "Joke" about Silva seem Real Now?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I thought this immediately in Silva's post fight interview recently and thought about Chael. Strangely they have a translator for Silva but every question that came his way he seemed to understand by his facial expressions. It just made it more obvious after he started speaking fluently in English. It immediately reminded me of Chael saying he knows Anderson speaks perfect English. I think at the end of his career he's giving up on having a translator change his intentions because I don't see any other benefit from pretending to only speak Porteguise.

Last edited:
It's almost as if Anderson slowly got better at learning and speaking English over time.

It's almost as if it has been almost 10 years since their first fight lol
Your username is cool as fuck. Well played.

Hands down my fav show of all time.
*Edit* and the greatest TV show of all time IMO

TAIZl.gif

He's a sly dawg, that Andy character

English isnt their first language ffs. Why misinterpret a question and get flamed for a wrong answer when someone is there to translate correctly......

anderson can speak ok english but he prefers to speak in portuguese,so that what he says is clear. Same with alotta guys.

A guy who learns the foreign language as an adult, and speaks the native language at home.

Is normal.....

Somebody can speak and understand decent English or any other secondary language and still wish to express themselves in their first language as it's easier to give a more nuanced answer.

It's almost as if Anderson slowly got better at learning and speaking English over time.

I met him randomly in '09 and we talked for 10 minutes.

He definitely plays the 'no habla ingles' card.

You do realize its easier to understand a question in a foreign language than to respond in that language, right?

I can pretty much understand any frech text or statement on everyday topics, but I'd be hard pushed to put together more than three grammatically sound sentences myself.

Hell I can even make out about 30% of spanish I hear even though I've never had a single lesson, just on the back of french and latin.

So yeah. Understanding but needing a translator to respond isnt exactly proof of some great conspiracy.

Makes me think TS has never learned a secondary language...

obviously like people have said you can learn English over time. Plus he might have been able to speak English pretty well but wasn't comfortable enough to do it in on camera in front of so many people.

I can't remember which boxer admitted that was the case, he could speak English pretty well in private but was worried he'd make a serious mistake in front of so many people while nervous. So he used a translator.

I thought this immediately in Silva's post fight interview recently and thought about Chael. Strangely they have a translator for Silva but every question that came his way he seemed to understand by his facial expressions. It just made it more obvious after he started speaking fluently in English. It immediately reminded me of Chael saying he knows Anderson speaks perfect English. I think at the end of his career he's giving up on having a translator change his intentions because I don't see any other benefit from pretending to only speak Porteguise.
Or maybe he got better now lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back