is Scott Coker a good promoter?

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed the events he put on and fighters he's able to scout out and find. But his organizations have never prospered

do you consider him a good promoter?

Strikeforce did prosper. It got sold because his partners (Shark Sports & Ent.) wanted to cash-out after Zuffa made them an offer. It was never his idea, and SF was doing very well on Showtime.

dana_zpsk7f5o13v.jpg

He's has an enormous "blind eye" if you catch what I'm saying.

Strikeforce did prosper. It got sold because his partners (Shark Sports & Ent.) wanted to cash-out after Zuffa made them an offer. It was never his idea, and SF was doing very well on Showtime.

Not what I remember. The Showtime deal was not lucrative at all, which is why Zuffa folded the organization into the company quickly after trying to work with Showtime.

The Fedor/M-1 deal wasn't something they could really afford either.

Zuffa only made an offer because the investors were looking for a way out.

Strikeforce: Yes, he was.

Bellator is tougher to call. I get the feeling he's got alot more cooks in the kitchen behind the scenes.

To answer the OP, while I appreciate the spectacle of Strikeforce and Bellator shows, Coker also bends over a lot for fighters and he puts on freakshow fights.

I have boycotted Bellator ever since the Kimbo v Dada fight. That was a disgrace that should have never been sanctioned, much less promoted.

Not what I remember. The Showtime deal was not lucrative at all, which is why Zuffa folded the organization into the company quickly after trying to work with Showtime.

Not lucrative for Zuffa maybe, was doing well for Coker & Co. for being a product outside of PPV.

It was prosperous because people were talking about it, and it was the largest organization in the west coast. As long as its not putting you in debt, the window for growth was always there and they were growing.

Coker has personally said he didn't want to sell but it was the hand he was dealt. I can dig up the quote if you want.

No he isnt

Im not a fan of freakshow fights, they have so much young talent to build on but they spend all there money on guys who no longer have what it takes to compete.

Just look at Cheal vs Tito, disgusting that they gave a known cheater big bucks for his first fight back in 3 years and a main event slot to just show up and roll over.

Coker is the direct reason why Bellator isnt taken seriously and i dont think they are even the #2 promotion in the world.

EFN fighters would spank them across the board in every division.and they are deeper they could put on a 50 fight card against Bellator and probably win 80% of the fights.

I feel like there is truth to what both you guys are saying. I wouldn't say that sf was brining in the dough, but I would say they were slowly trending upwards. The way I remember reading the story is that the major sf investors wanted to invest more in the San Jose sharks. They had money tied up with sf, so they decided to sell.

Logically speaking. If strikeforce was doing as bad as some claim, why did the UFC spend 40m on them? Why didn't the UFC just let sf collapse, and pick through the rubble for the fighters they wanted? It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper. That just seems logical to me. It's not like the UFC feared some other big mma org coming by and picking strikeforce up. They being the only player was much more true back then.

Yeah he's a good promoter behind the scenes putting on events, getting fighters, good relationship with fighters.

He's not good at being out front and promoting an event like say Dana would do cause Coker is kind of a bland personality.

But running a shot he's a good promoter.

He is no Dana White who is by far the best promoter in MMA and might be the second best promoter of all time behind Vince McMahon.

He's horrible and Bellator are going bankrupt what else can I say

I'm a casual fan and Coker has not reached us Casual fans

Dear Lord, no.
I am not in any way impressed with what he has done in Bellator.

Back