"It was never convenient, comfortable or the right time for MLK either" - Woodley

The Sausage King

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“It was never convenient, it was never comfortable, never the right time. Same thing with any other freedom fighter. Martin Luther King. I’m not comparing myself — because I know some people are gonna take this to left field — I’m not comparing myself to the great Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King, what I’m telling you is that at that time they did not know they were going to be Martin Luther King and Muhammad Ali. They did not know that they were going to be figures that did so much outside of their field to impact change. They did it because it was right.”

“What is our platform for? Is it for me to make all this money and showboat and talk about how great I am, or is it to speak to a large group of people all at once, knowing that everybody won’t receive it, but the fact that some will?”

Support From The UFC
Further explaining his comments, Woodley says that not everybody will understand. Although his former and next opponent Thompson may not see it, ‘The Chosen One’ says the UFC is supporting him:

“He won’t understand it, he won’t get it. Because it’s not him. … That does not mean it does not exist. I think what we have is, is individuals who have not participated and individuals who have not done it themselves. Since they have not, they feel like it’s not happening.”

“If you look at the history of our sport, not just our sport, the history of the American culture. Certain things are subliminally racist that people don’t understand are racist,”

“If it wasn’t a problem and if it wasn’t a current situation that exists in the sport, why would my promoter be contacting me on how to solve the problem? Now, hats off to them, because they didn’t have to do that.”

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/tyron-woodley-says-the-ufc-have-contacted-him-about-racism-comments/

I'm a proud Trump supporter so don't lump me in with the SJW crowd, but I do agree with Woodley that black athletes are treated differently in some aspect by white fans. Chael, Bisping and Conor are loved for being arrogant, disrespectful, and brash, but then guys like Jones (even prior to his scandles) was hated for the same mannerism. Hell, even Floyd is hated by the boxing world - and Conor stole his entire persona.

While I do think Woodley has taken it a bit too far, it's pretty obvious that Wonderboy is the Great White Hope for the WW division - especially once Woodley got the belt. It's nothing new. I remember the hate Rashad got after beating Chuck, and even worse after winning the belt.

He also said Jesus was persecuted like he was.

T Wood is a true social justice warrior who fights for his beliefs and doesn't give a flying F about what you think. Respect to my brother from another mother.

Go to other parts of the world and you will see real racism. America is advanced and the last place to be bitching about racism.

Go to other parts of the world and you will see real racism. America is advanced and the last place to be bitching about racism.

BLM has it wrong, I agree. But in terms of milder racism against black athletes, I think it's there to an extent.

“It was never convenient, it was never comfortable, never the right time. Same thing with any other freedom fighter. Martin Luther King. I’m not comparing myself — because I know some people are gonna take this to left field — I’m not comparing myself to the great Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King, what I’m telling you is that at that time they did not know they were going to be Martin Luther King and Muhammad Ali. They did not know that they were going to be figures that did so much outside of their field to impact change. They did it because it was right.”

“What is our platform for? Is it for me to make all this money and showboat and talk about how great I am, or is it to speak to a large group of people all at once, knowing that everybody won’t receive it, but the fact that some will?”

Support From The UFC
Further explaining his comments, Woodley says that not everybody will understand. Although his former and next opponent Thompson may not see it, ‘The Chosen One’ says the UFC is supporting him:

“He won’t understand it, he won’t get it. Because it’s not him. … That does not mean it does not exist. I think what we have is, is individuals who have not participated and individuals who have not done it themselves. Since they have not, they feel like it’s not happening.”

“If you look at the history of our sport, not just our sport, the history of the American culture. Certain things are subliminally racist that people don’t understand are racist,”

“If it wasn’t a problem and if it wasn’t a current situation that exists in the sport, why would my promoter be contacting me on how to solve the problem? Now, hats off to them, because they didn’t have to do that.”

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/tyron-woodley-says-the-ufc-have-contacted-him-about-racism-comments/

I'm a proud Trump supporter so don't lump me in with the SJW crowd, but I do agree with Woodley that black athletes are treated differently in some aspect by white fans. Chael, Bisping and Conor are loved for being arrogant, disrespectful, and brash, but then guys like Jones (even prior to his scandles) was hated for the same mannerism. Hell, even Floyd is hated by the boxing world - and Conor stole his entire persona.

While I do think Woodley has taken it a bit too far, it's pretty obvious that Wonderboy is the Great White Hope for the WW division - especially once Woodley got the belt. It's nothing new. I remember the hate Rashad got after beating Chuck, and even worse after winning the belt.

<18><18>

Did Tyron just compare himself to Martin Luther King?

Did Tyron just compare himself to Martin Luther King?

BLM has it wrong, I agree. But in terms of milder racism against black athletes, I think it's there to an extent.
I see black athletes praised all over the place. Blacks have the highest number of top earning athletes in America

Mountain, meet molehill.
Why would the mountain be meeting the molehill in this metaphor? Doesn't only one of these proverbial "mounds" exist, and the idea behind the original idiom is that one view point sees one thing, and the other sees the other?

I see black athletes praised all over the place. Blacks have the highest number of top earning athletes in America

money does not equal respect. I could feel the love for Wonderboy growing on here - it may be subconscious, but there is a tendency for white fighters wanting to see one of their own topple a black athlete who is dominate in their field.

money does not equal respect. I could feel the love for Wonderboy growing on here - it may be subconscious, but there is a tendency for white fighters wanting to see one of their own topple a black athlete who is dominate in their field.
Any exciting striker is always going to be the crowd favorite. Always. No matter if they are black like Anderson Silva, white like Stephen Thompson, Mexican like Yair Rodriguez Asian like cung Le, mixed American like Chuck Liddell. People always love a flashy striker.

Just because there's worse racism/misogyny/inequality in other parts of the world doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the US too.

We want to ELIMINATE it, not have it exist in a mild form.

False, I loved to see Jones destroy Chael, both are dicks.

I agree that there is subconscious bias towards white athletes, I think it's overplayed though. One of the biggest issues is that we just lack black stars. Take Aljamin Sterling for example, guy was building himself up and then got beat. Demetrious has more going on for him, even if he were white, its hard for people to take a 5'3 guy seriously. It's not racism, its heightism and size bias that makes people not take DJ seriously.

Weidman has all the tools to be respected as a great MW champ, but was completely disrespected during his reign, I know cause I'm a huge Weidman fan since he started.

Why not argue the lack of asian stars? The lack of asian celebrities. It's a dumb argument. The only form of discrimination that takes place is that english speakers are given higher preference to non english speakers, because duh, they sell more to a majority-english speaking audience. This is a far more personal sport than Football, Soccer or Hockey. The individual has to sell themselves, and if you need a translator it becomes more difficult.

Just because there's worse racism/misogyny/inequality in other parts of the world doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the US too.

We want to ELIMINATE it, not have it exist in a mild form.
Then start pointing fingers everywhere because each group, each trade, each pocket of people have their own form of racism. So I'm not interested in this black vs white bullshit.

personally, i've always been more of a fan of Malcolm X

Damn what a day lol. I'm not going to attempt to count all the Cryron threads today but I will say that it's a nice change from hating Ronda. who, as we all know, was hated on by muhsogynists for being a woman and not because of her actions. Just like Cryron is hated on by racist and it has nothing to do with his actions either... It's always racism, sexist, and xenophobia lol....

What a time to be alive!

Back