Has a sports organization as big as the UFC ever gone under?

King Pun**

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The closest I can think is Jai Alai back in the 80s but I do not think it was as global/worth as much

Leeds UTD were worth like 200m and got relegated about 5 times and went bankrupt twice

NFL-Europe went down the shitter

But if you're counting mergers, I think the ABA and AFL must have been pretty big back then. Both had some star players, but of course that would need to be adjusted for inflation and what not.

I think no other sport organization is like the UFC so theres no point.

There is some Brazilian football club called Vasco da Gama that used to be huge in the 90s but it is now bankrupt and done

xflhateme.jpg

Nascar certainly fell off great times. didn't go under.
With American Football you had Europe, XFL, USF & AFL mergers.
MLS did like Nascar and almost but not quite folded a few times.
Women's pro soccer has risen and fallen a few times in the states and a few other places.

there is no perfect comparison, of course. Nascar is probably closest.

WCW

UFC isn't a sport, it's sports entertainment. So WCW is more comparable than a real sports org

WCW

UFC isn't a sport, it's sports entertainment. So WCW is more comparable than a real sports org

good one. but correct me if i'm wrong (i don't know much about pro wrestling), was WCW just one of several big orgs at the time? is/was WWE still big, and maybe a few others?

yes it's an org not a sport, and TS surely knows that; (s)he just meant "has an org that had such a giant monopoly on a sport ever go under". at least that's how i chose to read it.

Mma is a sport. Wcw was entertainment not competition.

Concept is the same: create a match-up that fans are willing to pay to see. Without a solid system of rankings and title fights; only the most compelling fights will be promoted and scheduled.

Concept is the same: create a match-up that fans are willing to pay to see. Without a solid system of rankings and title fights; only the most compelling fights will be promoted and scheduled.
Sounds like the sport of boxing to me.

It's a sport.

As a franchise, it will never go under. It will just be sold and go low key like WSOF or something.

Back