Instances when a fighter was hyped too early? i.e. "Welcome to the Machida Era"

brainwash

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are some points in time when a fighter was thought to be unbeatable and a gift from god and that there was no way to beat them. That they would run through everyone but it didn't turn out that way?

Here's some I can remember.

When Ronda Rousey was the "once ever athlete" after beating Beth Coreira. Went on to get koed twice.

After Mirko Crocop won the pride Grand Prix beating middleweights, people actually thought he was some unbeatable phenom only second to Fedor. Went on to have a mediocre UFC career.

After Gabriel Gonzaga head kick KOed Mirko Crocop, people were saying it was the start of his reign of destruction. Lost to 42 year old Randy Couture in the next fight.

When Khabib beat Michael Johnson, people thought he was some kind of wrestling GOD. Will most likely get KOed within the first round by McGregor or even derailed before that.

enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

Like the McGregor era?

And the Irish takeover?

Houston Alexander is for real.

Phillipe Nover is the next Anderson St. Pierre.

Lol you list an undefeated fighter just because you're desperate for a chance to verbally blow Conor. What a shit thread.

LOL. Conor is one of the few examples where he IS FOR REAL.

2 belts in 2 weight class brah. The Irish have already taken over.
Takeover with 1 fighter ?

After Conor, Ireland most likely will never have an UFC champ ever again.

I seem to recall Todd Duffee was asking to be fast tracked to a title shot and the UFC was amenable. Where are Myles Jury and John Hathaway now?

Wonderboy was a huge favorite over Woodley in the eyes of most

Holly was a huge favorite over Tate in the eyes of most

Cain was a huge favorite over Werdum in the eyes of most

Pettis was a huge favorite over RDA in the eyes of most

Gus was a significant favorite over Rumble and many strongly viewed him as better than DC

the way Doo Ho Choi was viewed against Cub

the way Sterling was viewed against Caraway

Rockhold being crowned one of the most complete fighters and P4P great then being KOed by KING Ping

there are numerous examples but one of the worst was when 2-1 Namajunas was viewed as a big fave over Esparza coming off TUF.

I don't think the Machida Era was hyped too early. He did get the belt and defend it without losing a single fight. His fighting style was exciting and new.

It just didn't last long...

Hyped to early are the Sages and Pages of the world...

Sage northcutt. I'm interested to see what matches they give him to try to keep him in the UFC for as long as possible. That's gonna be tough.

Sometimes fighters live up to the hype and sometimes they don't. You can't really say Machida or Khabib was hyped up too early. It's a business, they hype up popular fighters with potential. Machida was undefeated and won the belt in spectacular fashion. Khabib is undefeated and 8-0 in the UFC.

Can't name a particular fighter but I remember there's threads that has titles like these a couple of years ago...

Rory or Erick Silva? Who has the potential to be WW GOAT
Todd Duffee has all the makings of a HW champion
Charles Oliveira is only 21. He will be a future champion
Jimmy Hettes is the future of 145 division
Siyar Bahadurzada insane KO power; calls out everyone on twitter

Time flies.

I don't think the Machida Era was hyped too early. He did get the belt and defend it without losing a single fight. His fighting style was exciting and new.

It just didn't last long...

Hyped to early are the Sages and Pages of the world...
Yes it was. They were saying how Machida brought traditional martial art back. That noone knew how to deal with a karate expert. That he was a light-heavyweight A. Silva. That it was a foregone conclusion that he would go on to defend multiple times, that it was his ERA.

Noone is hyping Paige and Sage to be unbeatable world beaters, even before they lost their fights. They were always deem as young prospect who may be good one day.

If you think Machida was ever simply "hype," you're blind and an idiot.

r3.jpg

Back