Is GSP the guy that fought the strongest competition in MMA?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His resume is insane... what u guys think? The only sugar coat he had since 2004, when he entered the UFC, was Dan Hardy.

I don't think it's significantly better than Anderson's comp. He fought a few LW's moving up. He had a Dan Hardy thrown in there and he didn't move up. Good competition, but not 'better' in my opinion.

Jon Jones and Anderson Silva both had tougher schedules.

Jon Jones has beaten better guys and arguably so has Conor McGregor, I'd take DCs resume over GSPs too.

Yes

Jones has fought mostly has-beens/old guys or people much smaller than him and the few people that are worthy competition have given him a tough time.

Jon Jones has beaten better guys and arguably so has Conor McGregor, I'd take DCs resume over GSPs too.
McGregor is laughable. Fought all people significantly smaller than him, and has struggled with guys his own size again (Diaz, Holloway).

EDIT: I meant own size AND bigger when I say Diaz and I was referring to the wrong point with Holloway (my bad), Holloway was a pretty standard, one dimensional fighter at the time so he doesn't count as a huge scalp for McGregor.

Neither Jones or McGregor are bad but they've not faced the toughest competition and to compare their competition to GSP's is a bit silly when GSP reigned as WW champ for a huge amount of time stomping everyone thrown at him. Yes he had a couple of easy fights but in fairness when you're taking out all the top contenders you're going to get thrown the odd scrub here and there to kill some time.

Last edited:
I love GSP but my gawd hendo had an insane list of opponents, even though hes a mw .

hendo fought:
-Carlos Newton
Yvel
Big nog 2x,
Sobral 2x
Wanderlei 2x,
Murillo Rua
Arona
Bustamante 2x
Kondo
lil nog
Misaki
Belfort 3x
Jackson
Silva
Franklin
Bisping 2x
Rua 2x
Fedor
Machida
Evans
DC
Gegard
Lombard

That is an absolute insane resume of opponents and considering his accolades and success and size, Hendo was a monster.

Considering Fedor's competition would mostly destroy GSP's competition in an actual fight...NO.

170 was definitely more stacked than 185, so yes GSP fought tougher competition than Silva and by a wide margin IMO. Jones fought a lot of elite fighters at 205 so you can make an argument for him at 205 as toughest schedule.

If you look at fighter's records/opponents.....it's hard to deny that Mark Hunt has probably fought the strongest competition, compared to anyone else in MMA.

No . He s the male version of RRousey but smarter, as soon as he knew the comp got real he lashed off, and accused ppl of peds because the comp got stronger

Hendo as stated above is tough to top, JDS has been fighting top guys since he signed with the UFC in 2008.

out of all the fighters out there, Hendo and Randleman deserve a mention.

But in their division, yeah, sadly (i don't like him) it's Jones. And apart from Gustafsson, he had his way with pretty much every single fighter he faced.

Yes

Jones has fought mostly has-beens/old guys or people much smaller than him and the few people that are worthy competition have given him a tough time.

So in your opinion, who has Jones not faced in his division? Not counting Rumble, of course, that is definitely in the works ASAP. Who is a notable 205er that Jones has not faced?

Yes

McGregor is laughable. Fought all people significantly smaller than him, and has struggled with guys his own size again (Diaz, Holloway).

Neither Jones or McGregor are bad but they've not faced the toughest competition and to compare their competition to GSP's is a bit silly when GSP reigned as WW champ for a huge amount of time stomping everyone thrown at him. Yes he had a couple of easy fights but in fairness when you're taking out all the top contenders you're going to get thrown the odd scrub here and there to kill some time.
Mendes, Aldo, Holloway, Diaz and Eddie is a very good resume. And lol at you saying he struggled against Holloway, it was 30-26 not a shady 29-28 like BJ vs. GSP I.

Look at GSPs opponents, there are multiple guys with double digit losses.

His resume is insane... what u guys think? The only sugar coat he had since 2004, when he entered the UFC, was Dan Hardy.

He also fought Matt Serra twice, and lost one of those.

GSP has a very good resume, but it's a bit overrated on here. It's not significantly better than Anderson's - they're pretty close - and it's probably a half step below Jones'.

He also fought Matt Serra twice, and lost one of those.

GSP has a very good resume, but it's a bit overrated on here. It's not significantly better than Anderson's - they're pretty close - and it's probably a half step below Jones'.

Please, Jake Shields has a better Resume than Anderson Silva.

out of all the fighters out there, Hendo and Randleman deserve a mention.

But in their division, yeah, sadly (i don't like him) it's Jones. And apart from Gustafsson, he had his way with pretty much every single fighter he faced.

So in your opinion, who has Jones not faced in his division? Not counting Rumble, of course, that is definitely in the works ASAP. Who is a notable 205er that Jones has not faced?
I never said he hasn't faced any i said the ones he has faced have given him a tough time. OSP, Gustafsson, Machida...even Belfort nearly arm-barred him. Cormier is capable of beating him but had a shit game plan, but that's another conversation.

Realistically, the LHW isn't a particularly stacked one, the fact the belt changed times every fight for like 50 years before he got it shows that there weren't really any dominant fighters before him.

He's faced the best that the LHW division has (except Rumble of course), but at the end of the day the best it has isn't as good as the competition GSP went through during the time he was at the top.

Yes

Jones fought people at the right time,but he always came through any adversity

The McGregor part of your post is laughable though,Nate was much larger then conor,and how did he struggle with max?he bamboozled him on the feet and then he took him down and controlled him easily.

Back