Why do Kickboxing Focused fighters tend to be knocked out easily in the hands department?

guard_passer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive noticed a recurring pattern that MMA fighters who come from a kickboxing/Muay Thai base tend to have a weak sport when it comes to defensive boxing

examples:
Overeem vs anyone , Cro Cop vs Randleman, Ernesto Host vs bob Sapp, Aldo vs Conor, Cerrone vs Nate Diaz, Pat Barry vs anyone, Cung Le vs Scott Smith, Edson Barbosa vs Jamie Varner. Paul Daley vs Nick Diaz

Do Kickboxers not take hand strikes into consideration?

Last edited:
Crocop vs Randleman and Ernesto Hoost vs Bob sapp are not good examples,first of all,secondly Cung Le's conditioning was a big factor,and his style is big on utilizing distance. Defense has to be different for kickboxing because bobbing and weaving can eat knees and shins.

Last edited:
Crocop vs Randleman and Ernesto Hoost vs Bob sapp are not good examples,first of all,secondly Cung Le's condition was a big factor,and his style is big on utilizing distance. Defense has to be different for kickboxing because bobbing and weaving can eat knees and shins.
Do you think Randlemann or Sapp would Dismantle respected boxers in a boxing match? I highly doubt it

Reem has not a good chin. His boxing is not bad but he doesn't use it because if he gets hits it's over.

That's why he did change his style. He is all about movement and not getting hit now. Only kicks. Barely uses knees too.

Do you think Randlemann or Sapp would Dismantle respected boxers in a boxing match?

Randleman,probably not. Sapp being 350 lbs and being able to move like he did presented an interesting problem for Hoost,and Hoost decided to stand and bang toe to toe with him which was a terrible idea. I think if most tried to stand toe to toe with Sapp at that time they would have lost. Mirko showed the way to beat him was to stick and move,and Sapp was never dominant again after that.You cant compare the Sapp of 2001 - 2002 to today. He was actually being trained by real fighters,and given every benefit by the referees. Once Mirko broke his orbital he never really fought courageously after that.

Add Shilling to that list. Kickboxing is all offense no defense

Glove size is really different on the defensive part

This is a fascinating question I never pondered. I know kickobxers don't generally have 1/2 the footwork of boxers but I never really considered how much less they have chins as well. Not to mention the ability to be beaten at their sport, largely (it is still an MMA match but in stand up fights)....

Really good question TS.

This is a fascinating question I never pondered. I know kickobxers don't generally have 1/2 the footwork of boxers but I never really considered how much less they have chins as well. Not to mention the ability to be beaten at their sport, largely (it is still an MMA match but in stand up fights)....

Really good question TS.
Also it should be worth mentioning that the top kickboxers fight each other all the time. Its rare to find anyone who hasnt been koed multiple times who had a long career because they are always fighting the top 10 - 15 guys over and over,sometimes three times in one night.

And more ways to knock people out will result in more knockouts.

3 rounds mean people are more likely to go for it as well.

Also it should be worth mentioning that the top kickboxers fight each other all the time. Its rare to find anyone who hasnt been koed multiple times who had a long career because they are always fighting the top 10 - 15 guys over and over,sometimes three times in one night.
I always loved this about kickoxing. It's rough man

Because they don't focus on their hands as much as guys who train just boxing do.

I always loved this about kickoxing. It's rough man
Its good and bad i think. Its hard to know who the best is because of the format that it is fought in..is so chaotic. Its not like the belt system at all.

Glove size is really different on the defensive part
giphy.gif

Randleman,probably not. Sapp being 350 lbs and being able to move like he did presented an interesting problem for Hoost,and Hoost decided to stand and bang toe to toe with him which was a terrible idea. I think if most tried to stand toe to toe with Sapp at that time they would have lost. Mirko showed the way to beat him was to stick and move,and Sapp was never dominant again after that.You cant compare the Sapp of 2001 - 2002 to today. He was actually being trained by real fighters,and given every benefit by the referees. Once Mirko broke his orbital he never really fought courageously after that.
as a long time boxing fan I cant see anyone beating top competition by using brute force alone.
The only example I can think of where sheer size overpowered a boxer is the Oscar Dela Hoya vs Shaq smoker. and that size difference was fucking dramatic

as a long time boxing fan I cant see anyone beating top competition by using brute force alone.
The only example I can think of where sheer size overpowered a boxer is the Oscar Dela Hoya vs Shaq smoker. and that size difference was fucking dramatic
How many 350 lb athletic boxers you know? Like i said it wasnt just the size,it was that hoost did not fight him smart. He took personal offense to sapp and slugged it out toe to toe and also had the refs allow sapp to commit several fouls unpunished. I think many people who have seen the fights dont know simple rules of kickboxing/boxing. You arent allowed to hit someone after they go down,and sapp blatantly did this,and the ref let him do it.

Back