Grappling>Striking unless you have KO power

Mixed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've realized that striking doesn't mean jack shit in MMA unless you have KO power.

The best to do it were grappling based fighters who implemented decent striking. Like GSP, Frankie Edgar, Jon Jones, Fedor. The only exceptions were strikers who had KO power. Like Anderson.

That's why I feel Valentina will lose badly to Pena. All her striking credentials don't mean jack shit in MMA. If she can't stop the takedown, she's fucked.

Discuss.

michael-bisping.jpg

He has KO power.

I don't think so, he's a volume striker who usually overwhelms other fighters through aggregated damage and cardio output. I don't think I've seen him properly flatline someone and the punch on Rockhold was about accuracy,placement and the timing.

Please provide at least 4 examples.
1 example is an accident.

You have a point. I would argue that Bisbing winning the title is an anomaly and that he will lose soon to a fighter who is an elite grappler and who possesses KO power in Yoel. If Bisbing loses, it would go to prove my point that Grappling>Striking unless you have KO power. If Bisbing wins, I guess my point would be wrong.

It all hinges on whether you would categorize Bisbing as having KO power or not.

I don't think so, he's a volume striker who usually overwhelms other fighters through aggregated damage and cardio output. I don't think I've seen him properly flatline someone and the punch on Rockhold was about accuracy,placement and the timing.

I agree but he has shown in his recent fights that he is able to knock people down with his fists if he connects cleanly like he did against Anderson and Rockhold. Maybe he has developed KO power late in his career.

Your whole Pena win thing runs on the premise that shevchenko can't stop the TD or even land her own. Also the original statement is pretty daft. Especially seeing as you disproved it by listing a whole load of fighters that don't have proper KO power but do very well anyway, there are loads more to boot

Your whole Pena win thing runs on the premise that shevchenko can't stop the TD or even land her own. Also the original statement is pretty daft. Especially seeing as you disproved it by listing a whole load of fighters that don't have proper KO power but do very well anyway, there are loads more to boot

We will see come Saturday, but I'm almost certain Valentina will be able little to nothing against Julianna grappling.

If you read it properly all the fighters I listed are grapplers which goes to my point that grappling is superior to striking unless you possess KO power, like Anderson.

I agree but he has shown in his recent fights that he is able to knock people down with his fists if he connects cleanly like he did against Anderson and Rockhold. Maybe he has developed KO power late in his career.

I think he's sat down on his punches a little more and perhaps gone for broke rather than safety first. However Anderson's chin at this point is completely shot :(

Your gif proves you don't need KO power to KO somebody. Therefore your thread is pure garbage.

I said that grappling is superior to striking in cases where there is no KO power. That was a purely striking match. I never said you need KO power to KO somebody. That's something you inferred all on your own. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

That's what all knockout punches are about...
<{MindBrown}>

Big looping punches still only knock people out when they aren't ready for it. If the guy sees it coming the best you could hope for is to wobble them.

Back