5 pound weigh-in rule in New York and the HW division.

Ballsack Mcgee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So we found out at UFC 205 that in New York, if you miss weight, the fight can only still go on if both fighters are within 5 pounds of each other. Which is why Kelvin vs Cowboy got scratched from the card. So my question is, does this apply to the HW division? That's the only division where guys actually weigh in at their normal weight (except for the rare guys like Brock or Bigfoot) and the gap is huge between fighters sometimes. Think Randy vs Brock. Brock easily had 50 pounds on Randy. So does this rule apply to the HWs in general? Because it seems silly to only impose this rule when a fighter misses weight.

I briefly searched for an answer on this but only found boxing information for the state of New York.

https://www.dos.ny.gov/athletic/pdfs/rule text final.pdf

Appears to show that heavyweights (in boxing) get a 25 pound difference before there is an issue. It also states after that as long as both parties are within the weight class, the commission could ignore that rule provided both parties sign a waiver.

Kelvin could've called cowboy and told him to stop cutting weight and they could've gotten within 5 lbs and fought.

still grumpy that fight didnt happen.

and technically, fights in other weight classes can happen at about 15 lbs apart if one person decides to come in under weight.

It is all very arbitrary, but HW is sanctioned for 206-265 -- id imagine if someone came in at 271 and their opponent 265/6 the fight would have to be scratched in NYC.

It also states after that as long as both parties are within the weight class, the commission could ignore that rule provided both parties sign a waiver.

cerrone wouldve signed that waiver. and i cant see why the heavier gastelum wouldnt have signed it either. why no fight?

cerrone wouldve signed that waiver. and i cant see why the heavier gastelum wouldnt have signed it either. why no fight?

"(d) The Commission may, in its discretion, waive the maximum weight difference allowance as provided in paragraph (b) above, so long as the official weight of both competitors is within the same weight class and both competitors consent to the waiver in writing"

Looks like you have to make weight for it to matter. Heavyweight would be the only weight class where both partied could make weight and still be more than 25 pounds apart (Lesnar VS Couture for example). I would guess that Cerrone was WW and Gastelum was considered MW due to missing weight.

Edit: This again is the boxing information. I didn't find the official New York MMA rules and regulations.

Both parties were not within the weight class.

It doesn't make sense to me in the first place to not allow the fight to go on if they are more than 5 lbs apart since weight classes are 15 or more lbs apart in the first place.

As we all know, each weight class has maximum limit. For light heavyweight, it's 206 except in championship fights. For heavyweight it's 265. So heavyweight class is 207 - 265. I don't see how this rule could apply to the heavyweight division...

As we all know, each weight class has maximum limit. For light heavyweight, it's 206 except in championship fights. For heavyweight it's 265. So heavyweight class is 207 - 265. I don't see how this rule could apply to the heavyweight division...

There are guys who cut to make 265 like Brock and Bigfoot. But my point was why would this rule only apply if a fighter misses weight?

Back