How many African-Americans have been "pushed" by the UFC?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So as we all know by now Tyron Woodley has had some controversial opinions that he has shared on international television and social media over the last few weeks.

The essence of his points are that African-American athletes, specifically in his argument MMA fighters, are not given equal representation and treatment from the powers that be.

He has made statements about Jon Jones and Demetrious Johnson either not being pushed like white fighters or being chastised when they make life mistakes (in Jon's case). He's also alluded to Wonderboy being promoted like he's the American athlete, as a means of discrimination toward Tyron. Many have even speculated that small and subtle cues like the enthusiasm of a handshake from Dana White, might be a little off toward Tyron.

So I say all that, to ask this one concise question:

How many African-American fighters do deem to have had a sufficient promotional push in the UFC?

I would say the following names come to mind:

Quinton Jackson
Jon Jones
Rashad Evans

Those are literally the only names that come to mind when I think of guys being pushed to a point where the general public have an idea of who they are. Heck, I'll go one further, these are the only guys in the UFC who are African-American which I believe have ever even got a push inside of the MMA annals.

First thing I think of is "are there even that many African-Americans competing in MMA?" - because I think the answer is "no". Therefore the % of black fighters who are even good enough to deserve a push is going to be considerably lower.

Is this an issue, does Tyron have a point?

Tyron should head to Bellator. Scott Coker is a more explosive friendly promoter

Daley
Dada
Kimbo
Rampage
MVP Page
Melvin Guillard
Benson Henderson
Chidi
King Mo
Phil Davis

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Not american but, Anderson Silva? :rolleyes: All this racism talk is nonsense to be honest.
<{hughesimpress}>

Gerald Harris was pushed........ Out of the UFC for no real good reason.

Harris-slams-Brance.gif

tumblr_oi7hfokEns1ry1rm7o2_250.gif

Rampage
Rashad
Uriah hall
Anderson silva
Tyrone woodley was giving a shot at the title he was promised but probably didnt deserve.
Carlos newton
Jon jones

There have been plenty

Hendricks and Lawler were the WW champs who preceded TWood. Were they "pushed"?

Why is it that if he isn't being pushed then it must be because of the color of his skin. There have been plenty of white champions who weren't pushed.

Fuck this piece of shit thread....

Only mental midgets take this shit seriously

Tyron should head to Bellator. Scott Coker is more explosive friendly promoter

Daley
Dada
Kimbo
Rampage
MVP Page
Melvin Guillard
Benson Henderson
Chidi
King Mo
Phil Davis

giphy.gif
Coker is more racist. He makes all the explosive fighters fight each other.

The UFC prefers White champs that speak English.

Gegard Mousasi has also stated that it is easier for fighters like Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold to get title shots, because they are American and speak English. But the racist fan base didn't pick up on that.

Joanna Champ moved to ATT to expand her brand, because she understands how the UFC works.

Because these two fighters are not of African descent, people don't pick up on these hidden messages.

Tyron Woodley is saying a lot of real stuff about the UFC fan base, that is why they are so riled up. The UFC fans prefer White champs that speak English. This is how Ronda Rousey became a "once in a lifetime athlete," and Dana White gave Conor McGregor an opportunity he himself stated he would have never given to any other fighter.

It is AMAZING with all this evidence right in front of our eyes, people are still in DENIAL about Tyron Woodley's statements.

Listen to what Dana White is saying here, isn't it the same thing Tyron Woodley is saying?

Rampage. Rashad. Jon Jones. Benson (PPV headliner and multiple FOX headliner). Mighty Mouse (PPV headliner and multiple FOX headliner). Cormier.

It's not pro wrestling there is no "push".

UFC has promoted Chuck Liddell, Ronda Rousey, Tito Ortiz, Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor because of their personalities. Ronda more so because first woman etc etc.

If Rampage didn't lose to Forrest i'm sure he would have been promoted bigger.

Gegard Mousasi has also stated that it is easier for fighters like Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold to get title shots, because they are American and speak English. But the racist fan base didn't pick up on that.

Joanna Champ moved to ATT to expand her brand, because she understands how the UFC works.

Because these two fighters are not of African descent, people don't pick up on these hidden messages.

Tyron Woodley is saying a lot of real stuff about the UFC fan base, that is why they are so riled up. The UFC fans prefer White champs that speak English. This is how Ronda Rousey became a "once in a lifetime athlete," and Dana White gave Conor McGregor an opportunity he himself stated he would have never given to any other fighter.

It is AMAZING with all this evidence right in front of our eyes, people are still in DENIAL about Tyron Woodley's statements.

Listen to what Dana White is saying here, isn't it the same thing Tyron Woodley is saying?

All evidence points to the opposite.

The ufc has pushed plenty black fighters. Whether they lose or not isnt the ufcs fault.

Jon jones was pushed like crazy. Cormier too was pushed like crazy and he even has a commentary job. Rashad was pushed like crazy as well.

I see no evidence to show that the ufc is holding back black fighters.

It's not about black and white, it's about charisma and entertainment. Rampage wouldn't have never gotten the push if he wasn't Rampage. If the big majority of athletes are indeed white it only stands to reason that the stars are probably gonna come from that particular skin color. MM is a fun dude but he's extremely bland outside the octagon and no, people don't care mostly about what's happens inside. Drama, excitment, entertainment. Big words, big statements, eye pleasing fighting style. If Conor wasn't a big mouth from the first time they shoved a mic in his face he wouldn't be the star he was today.

Rampage
Rashad
Uriah hall
Anderson silva
Tyrone woodley was giving a shot at the title he was promised but probably didnt deserve.
Carlos newton
Jon jones

There have been plenty

Considering that all but one of those was a champ and they span over 15 odd years, I'd say that's not a lot.

wtf? When was Dana on Hot 97? Dana tryin to tap into the hip hop market now?

I agree with this. I think being American and black is better than being a non-English speaking foreigner, though.
I agree about the fan base, and who REALLY sells tickets.

The ironic thing about Tyron is that he got probably the most gifted shot for any non-white American. (Dan Henderson was worse) I don't think he, personally, has been mistreated.

Back