Has Dana ever said why they don't have less events with more quality over quantity?

TrumanBurbank

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I mean, it's one thing we have a Conor McGregor fight to look forward to in the future but since he's gone for 10 months it seems like there is nothing going on in the UFC.

Just one mediocre card after another. I thought WME said there would be max 2-3 events a year?

Because they can shovel this shit out there and people buy it?

He's trying to rule Saturday night, just like the NFL rules Sunday. The UFC is trying to be a weekly sport, unlike boxing. There trying to compete with NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. They need more events to do so.

You might also be so impressed by the Conor marketing that you think all other cards are mediocre.

They really are not.

Dana: "All our events are quality. You don't like it, go watch the WWE where they put on fake fights. Go fuck yourself. You're not a fight fan, you moron."

they-live-street-signs.jpg

You might also be so impressed by the Conor marketing that you think all other cards are mediocre.

They really are not.
you might also be so impressed by the joe rogan shameless hyperboles that you think all the other cards are better than mediocre.

they really are not

If they don't have lots of cards how are fighters going to build themselves into big names? If the barely put on any shows they wouldn't get new fighters working their way to the top.

Some of us don't need Conor to be on a card to make it worth buying.

If you actually know all the fighters than every card can be exciting.During the week if you take an hour or two,watch some fights/interviews etc. of all the fighters you don't know,get to know them a little,the fights/events will be much more interesting for you.

The problem is,is all the cry baby's have no fucking clue who's fighting even some of these great prospects,yet they'll spend 5-10 hours a week blabbing on sherdog about worthless shit.Go watch some fights,just make sure you get your homework done first!

About once or twice a year i'll say a card kinda sucks,and that's usually due to late injuries/sickness or losing fights from weigh ins etc.

As long as people keep buying shit cards, they'll keep putting them on.

If you actually know all the fighters than every card can be exciting.During the week if you take an hour or two,watch some fights/interviews etc. of all the fighters you don't know,get to know them a little,the fights/events will be much more interesting for you.

The problem is,is all the cry baby's have no fucking clue who's fighting even some of these great prospects,yet they'll spend 5-10 hours a week blabbing on sherdog about worthless shit.Go watch some fights,just make sure you get your homework done first!

About once or twice a year i'll say a card kinda sucks,and that's usually due to late injuries/sickness or losing fights from weigh ins etc.

People hate thinking and love bitching.

That said, I get it. Some people want to invest less time and get more entertainment per minute. Rather than watch marquee fights spread across several cards, they want them condensed into fewer events. It's a criticism I can't in good conscience dismiss, even though I'm extremely happy with the amount of MMA we're getting these days.

I remember the days we had far fewer events, and I remember how exciting the weeks were leading up to those events, especially fight week. Part of me misses that.

Not enough to give up having new fights to watch pretty much every week, though.

Also, your point about prospects was good. Those of us who watch everything see their careers happening in real time, instead of having to go back and watch grainy historical YouTube videos once a fighter really makes it.

I think its an excuse to keep selling PPVs.

As long as they have a free card every 3 weeks, they can justify selling $60 PPVs every 4 weeks (to watch the "better" fights). Everybody knows PPV is a dead medium, the WWE has moved to subscription. For $10/month you get the same events and much more. The UFC is charging 6 times the amount, plus fight pass is separate.

You would think the 100 million/year from FOX would cover the costs, like it does for every other sport in the world (and orgs in Japan during the golden era). Then there's the live gate, and the sponsorships. They have a contractual obligation to provide FOX and other networks a certain number of shows, too bad they're mostly crap. PPV made sense when they had limited TV platform, now its just a ripoff.

Last edited:
Back