what's Brazilian about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any element of BJJ as it was practiced by the Gracies in 1980s/1990 that was not already contained in the katame-waza aspect of judo? riddle me that, I'll wait.

Gracies are experts at branding and marketing, but were they real innovators?

Guys like Eddie Bravo did elevate the guard game to levels unprecedented. But did the Gracies?

UFC 1 was a INVITE ONLY event designed to SHOWCASE BJJ. GUys with submission training were EXCLUDED on purpose.

#redpill #woke

jiujitsu in early 1900s way before Royce:

Brazilian Jiujitsu in Japan

credit to @Lamfadha

Last edited:
What's football about American football?

They shifted the emphasis of the art to ground fighting

Wrong forum though, head to the grappling section

They do it in Brazil...
Is this a trick question..

What's Japanese about Japanese juijitsu..

They do it in Brazil...
Is this a trick question..

What's Japanese about Japanese juijitsu..
The Japanese invented it... Brazilians took it and simply stamped their name on it. Big difference

It's Nothing to duo with Brazil, its like when they call Tuna 'chicken of the sea' its just one of those things.

Fairly certain they adapted the foundation to focus on ground techniques, and modifying those techniques to better benefit a smaller man vs a larger opponent.

I did Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (among other things) from the late eighties until 1994, and BJJ from then onwards. The difference between the two is immense.

The Japanese invented it... Brazilians took it and simply stamped their name on it. Big difference
Well,for note here in Brazil we dont call it ''Brazillian Jiu-jitsu'',just jiu-jiutsu.

what great jiu jitsu artists came out of Japan? None, because there's no jiu jitsu there. Rickson would tap any existing japanese person

Last edited:
I did Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (among other things) from the late eighties until 1994, and BJJ from then onwards. The difference between the two is immense.

It's funny how people think they just called it something different for the hell of it

BJJ is simply judo with ippon by throw or pin removed and no time limits on newaza. Since winning by throw isn't a possibility, mat work becomes more important. Since there are no time limits for newaza, grappling becomes more diverse and complex and since pins aren't included, the guard becomes much more refined.

I was being facetious mate.
I've done it for years at Gracie barra UK and off and on at Gracie academy .
I can armbar my 10 year old daughter when she's outta line no problem..

Dude...go actually research the subject before embarrassing yourself further. You hate the Gracie's (and/or Brazilians), we get it...or this is a weak troll attempt. Also, as another dude mentioned, this is for the grappling forum, go there...where you'll get your ass handed to you.

What a horrible thread, OP would be surprised that in Brazil "Football" is called American Football and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is just called Jiu Jitsu

Back