For those of you that train BJJ

NinjaSpider

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How is Chiesa only a purple belt ?(according to wiki)

He submits black belts , on several occations .

Im genuinely curious.

It is mostly based on how much time you have spend on it.
Some are more skilled than others.

There are a bunch of exceptions though, in the other direction.
Gunnar Nelson got his BB very quickly

Maybe he trains MMA grappling alot more than just pure jits.

Jones isn't even ranked in BJJ

Im genuinely curious.

BJJ isn't the be all end all of grappling.

I'm not sure Khabib even has a belt in BJJ but I'm pretty sure he can tap out some black belts.

BJJ isn't the be all end all of grappling.

I'm not sure Khabib even has a belt in BJJ but I'm pretty sure he can tap out some black belts.
Not to mention Jon Jones

There's black belts and then there's fucking black belts like Maia

When Sonnen started rolling with submission guys he would get brown and purple belts every now and then too, with just a few chokes. A skilled and talented grappler can get deadly fast, and I'm sure he's more than a blue belt.

I really dont understand why MMA fighters train grappling in a gi , Pride days are over.

Belt rank isn't just about fighting ability either.

Some high ranking belts are wonderful instructors and have zero athleticism.

Then obviously hes not a purple belt

Im genuinely curious.
Getting a higher degree/belt is a matter of time spent training and dominating different often complex techniques. For competition usually less than half of techniques are employed and someone like Chiesa might have not spent enough time in BJJ yet or be elite for competition but not give much attention to other technical aspects.

BJJ belts also to some extent depend on the instructor. Someone with good lineage will award belts at a much slower rate than a mall BJJ class.

I really dont understand why MMA fighters train grappling in a gi , Pride days are over.
Because its better in exploring the technical details and helps give attention to some aspects the instructor would like to emphasize. Most of the preparation should be no gi though.

He submits blackbelts (who aside from benny d btw?, just curious) in mma and that isn't necessarily a lock for how things would go in bjj competition

This isn't really that uncommon among MMA fighters, Jones, Pettis, Rothwell, Tate, McMann and I'm sure many others have submitted people who are "better" grapplers on paper. Hell purple belt Rothwell subbed the Nogi world champion in Barnett, that's a way better feat than subbing just "a" BJJ black belt.

Shit, I didn't know that if you had a higher belt in a martial art that it guaranteed a victory.

The more you know.

Some instructors are stingier than others. Some require minimum times studying.

Back