Conor McGregor Fighting style change?

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
I haven't seen this talked about. Has anyone else noticed conor changed the way he fights post Nate diaz 1? So before diaz first fight, he had an almost wonderboy style in that he would constantly throw spinning back kicks/heel kicks. He used these against brandao, siver, Holloway, mendes, and even Dustin. He KOed aldo in 13 seconds so we didn't really see anything. Then in the first fight with Diaz, round one, he was tagging him with great boxing that busted up his face. He also was throwing alot of spinning back kicks that missed though because he was fighting a taller guy. He lost that fight. Then diaz 2, threw zero spinning kicks and just boxed him, and threw tai style leg kicks. Then he fought eddie and also threw no spinning kick, and basically just boxed him up badly. Are the days of spinning shit over for conor?

This has been pointed out before & someone said it may have been because of his knee/leg injuries.

This has been pointed out before & someone said it may have been because of his knee/leg injuries.
Hmm must have missed it. I'm thinking he may have noticed that spinning kicks are less effective against bigger fighters then himself.

Nate gave him crap about throwing "spinning shit" and now he is scared to do it.

Nate gave him crap about throwing "spinning shit" and now he is scared to do it.

THIS. Now he's very reluctant to throw that kind of stuff. He wastes energy and let him vulnerable of being taken down.

I haven't seen this talked about. Has anyone else noticed conor changed the way he fights post Nate diaz 1? So before diaz first fight, he had an almost wonderboy style in that he would constantly throw spinning back kicks/heel kicks. He used these against brandao, siver, Holloway, mendes, and even Dustin. He KOed aldo in 13 seconds so we didn't really see anything. Then in the first fight with Diaz, round one, he was tagging him with great boxing that busted up his face. He also was throwing alot of spinning back kicks that missed though because he was fighting a taller guy. He lost that fight. Then diaz 2, threw zero spinning kicks and just boxed him, and threw tai style leg kicks. Then he fought eddie and also threw no spinning kick, and basically just boxed him up badly. Are the days of spinning shit over for conor?

Could be injuries...or perhaps a maturation in his game?

At this point it looks as though McGregor has Aldo-level takedown defense and good damage mitigation...

It's amazing how easily he can hit his opponents and they barely do any damage back.

If Conor beats Khabib and Tony in a similar pace two top tier guys on outstanding win streaks....I throw my hands up....this dude is the GOAT fighter next to Jones.

He refined his game to his abolute strengths, cut out the other shit. Spinning shit takes energy and he missed a lot.

He's all about being efficient with his energy now and spinning shit is taxing.

His kicks were never that good.
Really stiff, his legs were almost in 45° most of the time.
Risk of being taken down.
His greatest chance of winning a fight is obviously standing, why risk it?

He refined his game to his abolute strengths, cut out the other shit. Spinning shit takes energy and he missed a lot.
I believe this to be the correct answer. I personally come from a karate background and can attest to how much energy it takes to perform a correct spinning kick compared to just counter punching.

I believe this to be the correct answer. I personally come from a karate background and can attest to how much energy it takes to perform a correct spinning kick compared to just counter punching.
I dont think conor will completely cut that part of his game out, but hopefully pick his shots with the kicks more. The base is there just needs to tune it up a bit.

His spinning shit is a bit OTT, keeping the kicks to the front side kick and teeps to body is smart.

He's just being more efficient instead of trying to put on a show.

At this point it looks as though McGregor has Aldo-level takedown defense and good damage mitigation...
Seriously? Which top level grappler has he beaten without getting taken down? Mendes took Conor down 4 times in two rounds and kept him down but against Aldo he was 1/15 in two fights and couldn't keep Aldo down at all. Conor has mediocre TDD at 73% while Aldo shrugged off Edgar like nothing.

Energy conservation due to the added muscle.
Agreed with energy conservation. But he has no added muscle at 155. He is just cutting less weight than he did at 145. Technically he's the same size he's always been.

Could be injuries...or perhaps a maturation in his game?

It's amazing how easily he can hit his opponents and they barely do any damage back.

If Conor beats Khabib and Tony in a similar pace two top tier guys on outstanding win streaks....I throw my hands up....this dude is the GOAT fighter next to Jones.

Whoa whoa whoa. Aldo level TDD? I mean I dig Conor, but I don't know if his TDD is Aldo level. Aldo's defense is immaculate.

I don't think you can really take a lot from either Diaz fight. He might be a natural 155'er, but he sure as hell isn't a natural 170. He look bloated in both fights, moreso the first though. Carrying that extra weight is going to hurt your kicking game.

Whoa whoa whoa. Aldo level TDD? I mean I dig Conor, but I don't know if his TDD is Aldo level. Aldo's defense is immaculate.
His takedown defence has improved immensely though you have to admit that. I agree it's not Aldo's level though.

Back