Shogun on retirement pressure: "I'm experienced, but I'm also a young guy."

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“The subject bothers me a little,” Rua told MMAjunkie. “Because I’m experienced – I’ve been fighting for many years – but I’m also a young guy. I’m 35. People stop at 40, 38, 39. Depends. I think every athlete has the liberty to stop whenever they want.

“People speculate that a lot about me because I’ve had a few losses, but everyone has losses. So if a doctor doesn’t perform a perfect surgery, they need to retire? If a dentist doesn’t perfectly extract a tooth, they need to retire? A businesswoman goes into a meeting and it’s not successful, she needs to retire? If I’m happy to be fighting, and the UFC is happy to have me fighting for them, I don’t know why people are so bothered by it.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/01/ufcs-s...essure-im-experienced-but-im-also-a-young-guy

True enough.

He was only 24 when he won the 2005 Pride MWGP.

But I think he should drop to 185. There's no championship potential for him with Jones, Cormier, A. Johnson, and Gustafsson at the top, but if Bisping pulled a championship run out-of-nowhere in 2016, then the potential is there for a Shogun comeback story at middleweight.

WAR Shogun.

I have been saying for years that he has more in the tank and I've been right.

I wish Shogun vs Manuwa was happening.

maxresdefault.jpg

All that damage and knee surgeries has his age at 65 at best....Stop lying to yourself Maurício.

"The young Shogun" coming for that belt

I agree with him only about a couple of years ago. People were already saying that he should have retired before he won the UFC title. Combat sports fans can act like total broads when it comes to this issue. The word retire is thrown around for every guy who was in a tough fight.

Him and BJ want to fight on...

<{CMPALM}>

Because i don't like to see you take danage shogun...

You're too beautiful for this sport

He should just retire for 18 months, go to Germany and get all of the illegal blood spinning, TRT, etc. procedures, then come back and beat Tim Sylvia's ass...oh wait

Shoguns argument is retarded. Doctors aren't taking a massive amount of damage if a surgery goes badly. Also Shogun's age as others have said is way more in terms of damage. Yes he was young in Pride but all those wars at Chute Boxe add to the miles on the clock.

Shogun has a lot of fighting left in him. I would love to see him compete at 185

“The subject bothers me a little,” Rua told MMAjunkie. “Because I’m experienced – I’ve been fighting for many years – but I’m also a young guy. I’m 35. People stop at 40, 38, 39. Depends. I think every athlete has the liberty to stop whenever they want.

“People speculate that a lot about me because I’ve had a few losses, but everyone has losses. So if a doctor doesn’t perform a perfect surgery, they need to retire? If a dentist doesn’t perfectly extract a tooth, they need to retire? A businesswoman goes into a meeting and it’s not successful, she needs to retire? If I’m happy to be fighting, and the UFC is happy to have me fighting for them, I don’t know why people are so bothered by it.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/01/ufcs-s...essure-im-experienced-but-im-also-a-young-guy

He's right. Shogun is one of those fighters that has a bonkers fan base that like to make a bunch of excuses when he loses. The fact is that a Ring and Pride rules suits his fight style better.

Wtf? Yes surgeons and dentists do in fact have to do their job perfectly. That being said Shogun is the best.

I agree with him only about a couple of years ago. People were already saying that he should have retired before he won the UFC title. Combat sports fans can act like total broads when it comes to this issue. The word retire is thrown around for every guy who was in a tough fight.
Well said. A lot of MMA fans fail to realise that this is MMA and everyone loses (especially when fighting the best fighters in the world). It's a tough sport when fighters can give years of amazing fights yet can be judged by their latest 15 or 25 minutes of competition

It's his call, but I hate to see him take more damage.

Back