UFC dropped from air in Russia as UFC's license fees "multiplied" for 2017

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/2...-seeks-new-tv-deal-russia-mma-fedor-putinnews

On Thursday, Russian public sports channel MatchTV announced that they may no longer broadcast UFC events due to an ongoing stalemate in the negotiation process for a contract renewal.

According to the press release, Match TV claims the UFC handed over the programme licensing to a “local Russian mediator,” who raised the asking price by “multiples.” The release also apologized to fight fans and suggested they may not be able to view their preferred programming on their network.

"UFC, the primary owner of media rights, decided to transfer the license to broadcast in the Russian Federation in 2017 to the local agent of the Russian intermediary. Unfortunately, the value of these rights for those who would like to show the full scale data broadcast by Russian television viewers, increased by multiples in comparison with the same period last year.

"Match TV understands the interest of the audience to watch UFC event and is doing everything possible within the framework of the negotiation process. In the case of an agreement that suits all parties in terms of the financial and commercial conditions, "Match TV" will immediately inform the fans and viewers to the updated schedule of broadcasts."

Due the ongoing changes with seemingly no resolution in sight, MMA fans within the Russian Federation will not be able to watch UFC broadcasts in the near future. This could potentially include the UFC 209 PPV event (broadcasts on free TV in Russia due to time difference) in March. That event will feature Dagestani star Khabib Nurmagomedov in a much-anticipated interim title fight against Tony Ferguson. And while this may inconvenience MMA fans anxious to see whether Khabib can become Russia’s first UFC champion, it was likely a strategic move on the promotion’s part to leverage a more lucrative TV deal.

It's okay.

Russian fans, just do what we Americans do.

Urban_stream_in_park.jpg

The new owners are cutting costs and focusing on the American market that's pretty clear.

The new owners are cutting costs and focusing on the American market that's pretty clear.

<{hmmm}><{Ray3}>

So losing money from losing foreign TV deals is cost-cutting?

Like how when people stop buying my stuff I actually have more money than before.​

WME-IMG is number one bullshit
It could be them, but it seems more likely that the local Russian contracted to negotiate is just being difficult.

Then again, this could also be a negotiation tactic to get the UFC to lower their costs. Hard to say who's to blame for this particular issue. But all UFC management has always been number one bullshit.

As normal, the title is just more clickbait. The UFCs fees didn't increase. The Russion mediator raised the fees.

As normal, the title is just more clickbait. The UFCs fees didn't increase. The Russion mediator raised the fees.

No clickbait, its the same thing. The distributor increased the fees. The bulk of the money goes back to the UFC, the "mediator" is the local agent / distributor.

<{hmmm}><{Ray3}>

Like how when people stop buying my stuff I actually have more money than before.​

it is if that money coming in isn't paying for the cost of doing business in the russian market (or if profit margins are very small). do you even p&l bro?

it is if that money coming in isn't paying for the cost of doing business in the russian market (or if profit margins are very small). do you even p&l bro?

Brah I'm not even going to get into a lengthy debate because I'm not Russian. but no way, they're spending more than X amount of money on marketing in Russia. They've yet to hold an event there or any press events, although they will in the future. Do you even understand how 'syndication' works?

This is nothing but a negotiation tactic by both sides. In the UFC's case, they want to increase their fees because in the future it will matter. But as of now, it is NOT a cost-cutting measure. Its the opposite. They want to get larger TV fees, for when they actually start holding events and promotion there.

"Just get Fightpass, Fightpass is amazing" - Sagov Northcuttovic

<{hmmm}><{Ray3}>

If that was the case then they would lower the price to whatever russian Tv is willing to pay for. I don't know why exactly but obviously it will save them money ther eis no other reason why they would do it. Just for fun?

Maybe administrative costs and whatever plus the money other stations are willing to pay extra outweighs it. Who knows. Also some of the Russian hardcore fans with money will buy PPVs which also coutnerweighs the lost money abit.

There are people smarter than us working for WME so they surely will have a reason to do this

just looking back. the Russian tv deal only went into effect January 2015, so im guessing they git a really good "introductory offer".

May just be that on renewal the deal was more realistic.

until we see actual numbers hard to know

If that was the case then they would lower the price to whatever russian Tv is willing to pay for. I don't know why exactly but obviously it will save them money ther eis no other reason why they would do it. Just for fun?

Maybe administrative costs and whatever plus the money other stations are willing to pay extra outweighs it. Who knows. Also some of the Russian hardcore fans with money will buy PPVs which also coutnerweighs the lost money abit.

There are people smarter than us working for WME so they surely will have a reason to do this

As i pointed out above, its the very opposite reason. Not cost cutting, imo.

They want to increase Russian TV fees, because they will finally/actually be holding events and promotions in Russia going forward.

As pointed out in the article, they're using the timing of the Khabib fight and the recent gossip about Russia to use as leverage against the TV network so they're forced to do the deal.

Stupid Tina, stupid Match, I hate them. Anyway russian fans have Internet and another ways watch UFC.

Back